Magnetic fields -- building a strong electro magnet with ac power

In summary, an inexperienced technician was working on a high voltage microwave oven and contacted one of the disconnected wires, causing him to be electrocuted.
Ziggey
Hello. I'm looking to build a strong electro magnet with ac power. I was going to use a MOT transformer so the primary was going to be the same windings. For the secondary windings though I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a higher current or voltage. I would assume that a stronger current would produce a stronger magnetic field. Any good ideas? I am going to be using the electromagnet to induce eddies current in aluminum to repel it (some background info if it helps).

Thanks for any info,suggestions, and help,
Zig.

Engineering news on Phys.org
By all means you want low voltage high current.

Look up your basic magnetic units. magnetomotive force has unit "Amp Turns" .

MOT's are VERY DANGEROUS and WILL kill unwary tinkerers.
They have a high voltage secondary, maybe 2500 volts and capable of an amp or two, with one end spot welded to the steel core, just waiting for an accidental brush of the hand.

NEVER energize a MOT that you have not first physically cut off and removed its high voltage secondary.
Please forgive my bad grammar in that sentence - but this is important.

There's plenty of youtubes abut making welders out of MOTs. That's a high current low voltage application.
Learn about the "magnetic shunts" and their purpose.

have fun, but be aware of how dangerous those things are.
https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/accidentsearch.accident_detail?id=200030211
A temporary employee of ABC, Incorporated, was working at a Sharp electronics facility operated by Bigston Corporation. He was repairing a 120-volt microwave oven. The 20-year-old employee had an associate degree as a technician in electronic engineering and had been on the job for 10 working days. He was working alone at his workstation. The microwave oven was plugged in, and the employee had disconnected two conductors from the magnetron-transformer area of the unit. The voltage in the magnetron and transformer area was 3400 to 5000 volts when the oven was operating. The employee apparently contacted one of the disconnected conductors while the unit was plugged in. He was electrocuted.

What's the first thing you'll do ?
Physically cut off and discard that high voltage winding, the one with lots of small wire.

old jim

Related to Magnetic fields -- building a strong electro magnet with ac power

What are magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields are areas in space surrounding a magnet where magnetic forces can be detected. They are created by the movement of electrical charges, such as electrons.

How can I build a strong electro magnet?

To build a strong electro magnet, you will need a coil of wire, a power source (such as a battery or AC power), and a magnetic material (such as iron) to place inside the coil. The strength of the magnetic field will depend on the number of turns in the coil, the amount of current flowing through the wire, and the type of material used.

Can AC power be used to create a strong electro magnet?

Yes, AC power can be used to create a strong electro magnet. When an alternating current flows through a coil of wire, it creates a changing magnetic field that can induce a stronger magnetic field in the material inside the coil.

Is building a strong electro magnet with AC power different from using DC power?

Yes, building a strong electro magnet with AC power is different from using DC power. AC power creates a changing magnetic field, while DC power creates a constant magnetic field. This means that an electro magnet powered by AC will have a fluctuating magnetic field, while one powered by DC will have a steady magnetic field.

What are some practical uses of strong electro magnets?

Strong electro magnets have many practical uses, including in motors, generators, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. They are also used in industrial applications for lifting and moving heavy objects, and in magnetic levitation systems for high-speed transportation.