Magnetic flux pinning sometimes there and sometimes not.

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of superconducting materials in a magnetic field. The process of magnetic flux pinning is described, where the material locks to the magnetic field when cooled below its critical temperature. Two videos are mentioned, one where the material bounces back to its locked state after being pushed away, and another where it re-locks in a different position. The question is raised as to why the latter video shows the material re-locking multiple times instead of staying in its original position. The concept of flux pinning along defects and impurities is mentioned, and it is explained that enough force can cause the flux to move and stick in a new configuration. The idea of multiple stable configurations is also mentioned, and it is
2sin54
Hello. As far as I know about superconductors, if you put a superconducting material in a magnetic field and then cool that material below its critical temperature, the material should lock to that magnetic field (magnetic flux pinning). Now I have seen videos where the locked magnet/material is pushed away but it bounces back to its locked state (like here ).

Now there is another video where the material gets pushed away and re-locks in a different position (). My question is, why in the latter video the superconducting disc did not stay in its original position and allowed itself to be locked in a new one numerous times? I apologize for the mistakes I made in terminology and English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The flux pinning occurs along defects, impurties etc. where the flux "sticks"; if you apply enough force you can move the flux (i.e. the vortices) around and then it will stick in a new configuration.
It is also possible to have multiple stable configurations.

Am "ideal" type II superconductor made from a perfect crystal would behave differently.

Thank you.

Related to Magnetic flux pinning sometimes there and sometimes not.

1. What is magnetic flux pinning?

Magnetic flux pinning is a phenomenon that occurs when magnetic flux lines become trapped or "pinned" in a material, preventing them from moving freely.

2. Why does magnetic flux pinning sometimes happen and other times not?

The occurrence of magnetic flux pinning depends on several factors such as the type of material, its temperature, and the strength of the applied magnetic field. It may also be affected by the presence of defects or impurities in the material.

3. How does magnetic flux pinning affect the properties of a material?

Magnetic flux pinning can significantly alter the electrical and magnetic properties of a material. For example, it can increase the resistance of a superconductor, making it more difficult for an external magnetic field to penetrate the material.

4. Can magnetic flux pinning be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, scientists and engineers have developed various techniques to control and manipulate magnetic flux pinning in materials. Some methods include introducing artificial pinning centers or applying a combination of magnetic fields to the material.

5. What are the potential applications of magnetic flux pinning?

Magnetic flux pinning has many potential applications, such as in superconducting materials for use in high-speed trains, medical imaging devices, and particle accelerators. It can also be used in magnetic data storage and energy storage devices.