Magnetic Flux with iron filings

In summary, magnetic flux is the measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area and is represented by the symbol Φ. Iron filings can be used to visualize the direction and strength of the magnetic flux around a magnet. The number of iron filings does not directly affect the magnetic flux, but a higher concentration can indicate a stronger magnetic field. External factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other magnetic fields can affect the magnetic flux. It is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area it passes through at a certain angle.
andy232005
Hi all this is my first post.
I would like to see magnetic flux is there anyway I could do this I remember at school many years ago using iron filing. I would like to see the results of magnetic shielding

Physics news on Phys.org
Well i don't know if this is quite what your looking for but its cool to see a strong magnet dropped down a copper pipe. This is lenzs law .

get some high quality copper and fashion some kind of container and play around lenzs law explains a lot

FAQ: Magnetic Flux with iron filings

What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is the measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of Webers (Wb).

How do iron filings demonstrate magnetic flux?

Iron filings align themselves with the magnetic field lines around a magnet, making it easier to visualize the direction and strength of the magnetic flux. They are commonly used in experiments to demonstrate the magnetic field of a bar magnet or to map out the field lines of a more complex magnet.

What is the relationship between magnetic flux and the number of iron filings?

The number of iron filings does not directly affect the magnetic flux itself. However, the density of the filings can give an indication of the strength of the magnetic field in a particular area. A higher concentration of filings in a certain area indicates a stronger magnetic field in that region.

Can magnetic flux be affected by external factors?

Yes, magnetic flux can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other magnetic fields. These factors can alter the strength and direction of the magnetic field, which in turn affects the magnetic flux passing through a given area.

How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field (B) by the area (A) it passes through at a certain angle (θ). The formula for magnetic flux is Φ = B x A x cos(θ). This calculation applies to both uniform and non-uniform magnetic fields.