Magnetic Force Between Current-Carrying Wires

In summary, the equation for the magnetic force between two wires is: F = (permittivity constant)(current 1)(current 2)(length) / (2pi)(distance apart).
David21

Homework Statement

:
[/B]
Three parallel wires of length l each carry current i in the same direction. They’re positioned at the vertices of an equilateral triangle of side a, and oriented perpendicular to the triangle.
Find an expression for the magnitude of the force on each wire.
Express your answer in terms of the variables i, l, a, and appropriate constants.

Homework Equations

:

[/B]
F = [(permittivity constant)(current 1)(current 2)(length)] / (2pi)(distance apart)
This is the equation for the magnetic force between two wires

3. The Attempt at a Solution

u is permittivity constant
l is length
d is distance between wires

I started by trying to find the force on the middle wire:
F on wire 2 = force on 2 from 1 + force on 2 from 3
= [ (u*i1*i2*l) / (2pi*d) ] + [ (u*i3*i2*l) / (2pi*d)]

Since all three currents are the same:
= [ (u*i^2*l) / (2pi*d) ] + [ (u*i^2*l) / (2pi*d) ]
= 2(u*i^2*l) / (2pi*d) = (u*i^2*l) / (pi*d)

On my equilateral triangle, I drew the three wires pointing directly upwards from the vertices of the triangle. Since the base of the triangle is a, the distance that wire 2 is from wires 1 and 3 is a/2:
= (u*i^2*l) / (pi*(a/2)) = 2(u*i^2 *l) / (pi*a)

This is the answer I have but I have made a mistake, I just don't know where.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello David21,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

There might be a couple of issues with your approach.

David21 said:

Homework Statement

:
[/B]
Three parallel wires of length l each carry current i in the same direction. They’re positioned at the vertices of an equilateral triangle of side a, and oriented perpendicular to the triangle.
Find an expression for the magnitude of the force on each wire.
Express your answer in terms of the variables i, l, a, and appropriate constants.

Homework Equations

:

[/B]
F = [(permittivity constant)(current 1)(current 2)(length)] / (2pi)(distance apart)
This is the equation for the magnetic force between two wires

3. The Attempt at a Solution

u is permittivity constant
l is length
d is distance between wires

I started by trying to find the force on the middle wire:
F on wire 2 = force on 2 from 1 + force on 2 from 3
= [ (u*i1*i2*l) / (2pi*d) ] + [ (u*i3*i2*l) / (2pi*d)]

You can't add the magnitudes of the two forces together quite so simply. Remember, forces are vectors. The important thing to take home here is that the two forces acting on wire 2 are not exactly in the same direction.

You'll need to add them together as vectors, meaning you'll need to take the angles into account.

On my equilateral triangle, I drew the three wires pointing directly upwards from the vertices of the triangle. Since the base of the triangle is a, the distance that wire 2 is from wires 1 and 3 is a/2:

I'm a bit lost there. If it's a equilateral triangle, meaning all sides have the same length, and that length is [itex] a [/itex], then isn't a given wire's distance to either of the other wires also [itex] a [/itex]? (Maybe I'm missing something :confused:)

Last edited:
The answer to the problem can be found by visualising an equilateral triangle in horizontal direction . By applying the formulas you stated you can obtain the solution.
First consider any of the current carrying conductor.
The force on it will be applied by the rest two and will be directed towards them .
So that the net force on the conductor at a vertex will be along the two sides.
Note that the distance between them will be 'a'.
Now adding them by vector addition, you can get the answer. ( F=i×i×I×cos30÷pi×a)
If the answer is correct let me know I will post a full solution.

Related to Magnetic Force Between Current-Carrying Wires

What is the magnetic force between current-carrying wires?

The magnetic force between current-carrying wires is the force that two parallel wires carrying electric currents exert on each other. This force is a result of the interaction between the magnetic fields created by the currents.

How is the direction of the magnetic force determined?

The direction of the magnetic force between current-carrying wires is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current in one wire and your fingers in the direction of the current in the other wire, the direction in which your palm faces is the direction of the magnetic force.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force between current-carrying wires?

The strength of the magnetic force between current-carrying wires depends on the magnitude of the currents in the wires, the distance between the wires, and the angle between the wires. The force increases with increasing current, decreases with increasing distance, and is strongest when the wires are parallel to each other.

Can the magnetic force between current-carrying wires be attractive?

Yes, the magnetic force between current-carrying wires can be attractive if the currents in the wires are flowing in opposite directions. This is because the magnetic fields created by the currents will interact in a way that causes the wires to be pulled towards each other.

How is the magnetic force between current-carrying wires used in real-life applications?

The magnetic force between current-carrying wires is used in various real-life applications such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in particle accelerators and in the production of magnetic levitation trains.