Magnetic force with 2 Current Carrying Wires

In summary, we use the equation for the magnetic field produced by a small segment of current-carrying wire to calculate the magnetic field at the point where two parallel loops are almost in contact. By simplifying the calculation, we can treat the two loops as one long straight wire and use the equation for the magnetic field around a long straight wire. This allows us to calculate the force exerted by one loop on the other, which in this case is 7.59*10^-4 N.
mike_302

Homework Statement

Two parallel loops are parallel, coaxial, and almost in contact, 1.29 mm apart. Each loop is .117 m in radius, the top loop carrying 137 A clockwise, and the bottom look carrying 137 A counter-clockwise. Calculate the force that the bottom loop exerts on the top.

Homework Equations

dB = (u0/4pi)(I*ds x r^)/r^2 where r^ is the unit vector.
For a long wire: B = (u0*I)/(2pi*r) where r is the distance from the center of the wire
Fb = Int(I*ds x B) for a current carrying wire

The Attempt at a Solution

So the answer works out to Fb= I^2*u0*r/d where d is the distance between the two loops.
To get this, I simply said Fb = ILB, where L is hte circumference of the loops, and then I had to say B was the magnetic field around a long straight wire... But I don't quite understand why I approximate the circle as a long straight wire? IS it because the two loops are stated as being so close together that one side doesn't affect anything except that which is directly above it?

Can someone explain this, and possibly even the math that I might have done directly from that dB equation to figure that out?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and for your attempt at solving this problem. Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few things that can be clarified to help you better understand the math and the concept behind it.

First, let's start with the equation dB = (u0/4pi)(I*ds x r^)/r^2. This is the equation for the magnetic field produced by a small segment of current-carrying wire, where dB is the magnetic field produced by that segment, u0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, ds is the length of the segment, r^ is the unit vector pointing from the segment to the point where the magnetic field is being measured, and r is the distance between the segment and the point.

Now, let's apply this equation to the two parallel loops in your problem. Since the loops are coaxial, we can consider them to be made up of many small current-carrying segments, each producing its own magnetic field. The total magnetic field at any point due to both loops will be the sum of the magnetic fields produced by each segment. However, since the loops are very close together, we can simplify our calculation by assuming that the distance between any point and the two loops is the same. This allows us to combine the two loops into one long straight wire, with a current of 137 A in one direction and 137 A in the opposite direction. This is why we use the equation for the magnetic field around a long straight wire, B = (u0*I)/(2pi*r), to calculate the magnetic field at the point where the two loops are almost in contact.

Now, to calculate the force exerted by the bottom loop on the top loop, we use the equation Fb = ILB, where I is the current in the top loop, L is its circumference, and B is the magnetic field at the point where the two loops are almost in contact. Substituting the values given in the problem, we get Fb = (137 A)(2*0.117 m)(u0*137 A)/(2*pi*1.29*10^-3 m) = 7.59*10^-4 N.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept and the math behind it. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed. Good luck with your

Related to Magnetic force with 2 Current Carrying Wires

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic force between two current-carrying wires?

The formula for calculating the magnetic force between two current-carrying wires is given by F = (μ0/2π) * (I1 * I2 * L) / d, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the current in the two wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic force change when the current in one of the wires is reversed?

When the current in one of the wires is reversed, the direction of the magnetic force changes as well. It will now be in the opposite direction, away from the wire instead of towards it.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force between two current-carrying wires?

The strength of the magnetic force between two current-carrying wires depends on several factors, including the magnitude of the current in each wire, the distance between the wires, and the permeability of the medium between the wires.

4. Can the magnetic force between two current-carrying wires be attractive?

No, the magnetic force between two current-carrying wires is always repulsive. This is because the magnetic field produced by the current in each wire is in the same direction, resulting in a repulsive force between the two wires.

5. How does the magnetic force between two current-carrying wires change as the distance between them is increased?

As the distance between two current-carrying wires is increased, the magnetic force between them decreases. This is because the magnetic field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a weaker force between the two wires.