Magnetic Induction at Point on Conductor: Biot-Savart Law

In summary, Homework Equations state that the magnetic induction due to a current element is given by dB = (μ_0 / 4π)(I dl sinθ / r^2). For an infinitely long straight conductor carrying current, B would be μ_0 I /2πa where a is the perpendicular distance of the point from the conductor. However, for a real conductor, B is not actually infinite, and has a finite value at the surface and be zero at the central axis.
ananthu

Homework Statement

What is the magnetic induction at a point on a current carrying conductor itself according to biot -savart law? is it zero, infinity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

If you include the equation here, we can look at it and answer the question.

Hello Redbelly, Thank you for your suggestion. Here I am giving the equation and elaborating my point. According to the Biot Savart law, the magnetic inducion due to a current element is given by dB = (μ_0 / 4π)(I dl sinθ / r^2). Applying this for an infinitely long straight conductor carrying current, we get the equation the magnetic induction at a point as B = μ_0 I /2πa where a is the perpendicular distance of the point from the conductor. My doubt is as follows: As the point approaches the conductor the value of a decreases and the B increases. This we can understand. But in a special case, when
a = o, ie. when the point lies on the conductor itself, according to the above equation B should become infinity. Does it make any sense?
In that case, can one tap infinite magnetic energy from the surface of a current carrying conductor? My common sense tells the value of B at a point on the conductor should be zero. But,it contradicts with the equation. I will be grateful to you if you have an explanation. Good wishes.

Yes, for an infinitesimally thin conductor, B would be infinite on that conductor according to the Biot-Savart Law.

Since real conductors are not infinitesimally thin (i.e. the conductor's radius is not zero), B is not actually infinite. B will have some finite value at the surface, and be zero at the central axis of the conductor.

Thank you for your reply. Again, I have slight confusion regarding your statement. How B could be zero, on the centrl axis of the conductor, where the value of 'a' ie, the distance of the said point is zero? It should be only infinity again? Will you please elaborate that particular point alone with a little more clarity?

The formula

[tex] B = \frac{\mu_{0}I}{2 \pi r} [/tex]

Works only for r > a, where a is the radius of the wire. If r < a, then the formula is

[tex] B = \frac{\mu_{0}I r}{2 \pi a^2} [/tex]

(assuming a uniform current density)

which gives 0 when r = 0.

Thank you all for your kind replies. Now I have a technical difficulty in using this Physics Forum site. Since I am new to this site I face some operational problems. How to post new questions on an entirely new topic? When I click " home work and classwork questions", I don't get page related to posting questions. Will anyone kindly help me as to how to proceed further for posting questions on different topics?

From www.physicsforums.com, click on one of the subforums -- there is a long list of them there. For example, the Introductory Physics Homework subforum that this thread is posted in:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153

Once you are in a subforum, you can start posting by clicking the "New Topic" button:

https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/buttons/newthread.gif​
[/URL]

EDIT:
ananthu said:
When I click " home work and classwork questions", I don't get page related to posting questions.

You'll have to choose one of the subforums in "home work and coursework questions". For example, Introductory Physics, Advanced Physics, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I got it. Kudos to the members of the physics forum (like you)for their concern and sincerety in helping the new members! In fact, I feel I had missed this wonderful forum all these years...

FAQ: Magnetic Induction at Point on Conductor: Biot-Savart Law

What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a mathematical equation that describes the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying conductor at a point in space. It is named after physicists Jean-Baptiste Biot and Félix Savart, who derived the law in the 19th century.

How is the Biot-Savart Law used in physics?

The Biot-Savart Law is used to calculate the magnetic field at a specific point in space, given the current and geometry of the current-carrying conductor. It is a fundamental tool in the study of electromagnetism and is used in a variety of applications, such as designing electric motors and generators.

What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction, also known as electromagnetic induction, is the process by which a changing magnetic field can generate an electric current in a conductor. This phenomenon is described by the Biot-Savart Law and is the basis for many technologies, including transformers and generators.

How does the Biot-Savart Law relate to Faraday's Law?

The Biot-Savart Law and Faraday's Law are closely related concepts. The Biot-Savart Law describes the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying conductor, while Faraday's Law explains how a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. Both laws are fundamental to understanding electromagnetism.

What are some real-world applications of the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is used in various technologies, including electric motors, generators, transformers, and MRI machines. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in everyday objects, such as power lines and electronic devices.