Magnetic Photons: Abdus Salam's Theory on C-Violation

In summary, Abdus Salam proposed the existence of fermions with magnetic charge, known as \chi-fields and \chi-particles, as a representation of the quantum magnetic current in QFT. Non-minimal operators are higher-order corrections in QFT and are suppressed by mass. B-particles refer to Salam's proposal of a second photon with "magnetic" couplings, as opposed to the ordinary QED photon with "electric" couplings. The current status of C-violation in physics involves the maximally violation of C in weak nuclear interactions involving W-boson decays. This paper was written by Salam in 1966 and there has been no substantiated evidence for the existence of a magnetic photon or magnetic
Urvabara
Here is the Abdus Salam's http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~hetahein/tiede/salam.pdf "MAGNETIC MONOPOLE AND TWO PHOTON THEORIES OF C-VIOLATION".

Questions:
1. What are those [tex]\chi[/tex]-fields and [tex]\chi[/tex]-particles?
2. What does non-minimal mean?
3. What are those weird symbols: ig over m and e over m? There are no fraction bars.
4. B-particles = magnetic photons?
5. Does all mass-less vector mesons emitted by hadrons interact with atomic electric fields (or decay into leptons)?
6. Current status of C-violation in physics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Urvabara said:
1. What are those [tex]\chi[/tex]-fields and [tex]\chi[/tex]-particles?

They are proposed fermions that have magnetic charge. This is what the quantum magnetic current would look like in QFT.

2. What does non-minimal mean?

Minimal operators are the lowest-order operator out of an infinite collection of operators. Minimal coupling is a condition for the standard model of particle physics. When considering higher-order corrections in a QFT, you often must include non-minimal operators. But it is usually sufficient to start with a minimal set, and build on it later. Notice that the non-minimal operators are suppressed by the mass (see below).

3. What are those weird symbols: ig over m and e over m? There are no fraction bars.

A typesetting error. They are ratios.

4. B-particles = magnetic photons?

Salam was proposing the existence of a second photon with "magnetic" couplings rather than the ordinary QED photon with "electric" couplings. Such a new field would have different transformation laws.

5. Does all mass-less vector mesons emitted by hadrons interact with atomic electric
fields (or decay into leptons)?

I'm confused by this point. I can't put it into context, since the link you sent does not have bibliographical information, so I'm not sure when it was that Salam wrote this. Maybe someone else can answer this (or if you can clarify the question for me, I'll give it another try). At a guess: yes, they do. There's been no substantiated evidence of a magnetic photon, or a magnetic monopole.

6. Current status of C-violation in physics?

C is maximally violated in weak nuclear interactions involving W-boson decays (there are no L-handed anti-neutrinos). Again, I would need to see *when* Salam wrote this paper to have an idea of what he was thinking about: he was, after all, the guy that figured out how the weak nuclear force worked, but was that before or after this paper?

Thanks for the reply!

blechman said:
A typesetting error. They are ratios.
Ok. I have updated the file.

blechman said:
no L-handed anti-neutrinos). Again, I would need to see *when* Salam wrote this paper to have an idea of what he was thinking about: he was, after all, the guy that figured out how the weak nuclear force worked, but was that before or after this paper?

A. Salam (1966). "Magnetic monopole and two photon theories of C-violation". Physics Letters 22: 683-684.

Anything new about this?

FAQ: Magnetic Photons: Abdus Salam's Theory on C-Violation

1. What is the concept behind Abdus Salam's Theory on C-Violation?

Abdus Salam's Theory on C-Violation proposes that photons, which are typically considered to be electrically neutral, have an internal structure that includes a magnetic charge. This theory suggests that photons have a magnetic field that can interact with other magnetic fields, leading to a violation of charge-parity (CP) symmetry.

2. How does this theory explain the phenomenon of C-Violation?

According to this theory, when a photon interacts with a magnetic field, it is able to convert into its anti-particle, the anti-photon. This conversion process results in a violation of CP symmetry, as the anti-photon has opposite charge and parity compared to the original photon.

3. What evidence supports Abdus Salam's Theory on C-Violation?

There have been several experiments conducted that support the existence of magnetic photons and the concept of C-Violation. In particular, the observation of weak interactions between neutral particles and the discovery of neutral currents in the weak interaction both align with this theory.

4. How does magnetic photons impact our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model describes the fundamental particles and their interactions, but it does not account for the magnetic charge of photons. Abdus Salam's Theory on C-Violation suggests that magnetic photons exist and play a role in the violation of CP symmetry, which challenges the current understanding of the Standard Model and may require further modification.

5. How could Abdus Salam's Theory on C-Violation impact future research and technological advancements?

If this theory is proven to be correct, it could lead to new developments in the field of particle physics and potentially impact our understanding of the universe. It could also have implications for technology, as the manipulation of magnetic photons could potentially lead to new applications in areas such as energy production and communication technology.