Magnetic pull force with a gap

I was just about to reply with that suggestion.In summary, the individual is seeking help with recalculating the magnetic pull force of a strip with specific dimensions and air gap for a different material. They are hoping for a simple calculation, but it is suggested to measure the force in an experiment as it may be more accurate than calculations with assumptions.
isaacc
Hello. I'm a cabinetmaker and my college physics courses are 25 years behind me now. I'd consider it a kindness if someone would answer a question for me regarding magnetism.

I have a magnetic strip that is described as having 6.2 lb. of magnetic pull force per lineal foot, 1" wide and 0.020" thick, and at 0" of air gap.

How would I recalculate that for a gap of about 1/8" through a transparent material such as lexan?

I'm hoping it's as simple as applying some co-efficient or simple calculation based on the gap distance.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
there isn't a simple way to do it, you'll just need to measure the force for a single foot of the material with the spacing. Even then it will only be an approximation. the force for a single foot will be the force per foot you're looking for.

I think I would try to determine it in experiment. While it is possible to calculate it with some additional assumptions about the magnetism in the strip, I think that the corresponding errors would be quite large.

Edit: Nice timing.

FAQ: Magnetic pull force with a gap

1. What is magnetic pull force with a gap?

Magnetic pull force with a gap refers to the attractive force between two magnetic objects separated by a distance or gap.

2. How is the magnetic pull force with a gap measured?

The magnetic pull force with a gap is typically measured using a magnetometer, which can detect the strength of the magnetic field between two objects.

3. What factors affect the magnetic pull force with a gap?

The magnetic pull force with a gap can be affected by the strength of the magnets, the distance between them, and any intervening materials or barriers.

4. How is the magnetic pull force with a gap calculated?

The magnetic pull force with a gap can be calculated using the magnetic field strength and the distance between the magnets. It can also be calculated using the magnetic dipole moment of the magnets and the magnetic permeability of the materials between them.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic pull force with a gap?

Magnetic pull force with a gap is used in many industries, including transportation (such as maglev trains), manufacturing (such as magnetic clamps), and medical devices (such as MRI machines). It is also used in everyday items like speakers, motors, and refrigerator magnets.