Magnetism/electric fields/mass spectrum help

• Thread starter raindrops
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectrum
In summary, the Mass Spectrometer has a velocity selector that helps to control the velocity of the ions before they enter the magnetic deflection chamber. The magnetic field in the deflection chamber is the same as the field in the velocity selector.
raindrops

Homework Statement

When the ionized particles entering a mass spectrometer are simply accelerated across the potential difference between two charged plates, there is always the chance of an uncontrolled variation in their velocities due to their random thermal motion before they undergo linear acceleration. An elaboration of the basic mass spectrometer design better controls the incoming velocity of the ions by passing them through a velocity selector before they enter the magnetic deflection chamber. Suppose that the same uniform magnetic field, having a strength 0.750 T, is used in both the velocity selector and the deflection chamber. In this chamber, singly ionized argon ions with a mass of 6.63×10−26 kg are to be deflected through semi-circular arcs of radius 12.0 cm. (a) If the oppositely charged plates of the velocity selector are separated by 2.00 cm, what is the required potential difference between them? (b) If you were to add a velocity selector to the diagram of the mass spectrometer, as shown in the illustration, which plate would be positively charged with respect to the other?

Homework Equations

B=.75
m=6.63e-26
r=.12m
d=.02m
q=1.6e-19 ? not sure on this

m=(qr^2B^2)/(2*deltaV)

deltaV= (gr^2B^2)/(2m)

for velocity selectors v=E/B
E=deltaV/deltax

The Attempt at a Solution

deltaV = 9773.76

I'm not sure if I'm using the right equations or if I have done the right thing so far. I would rearrange the equations to get v=deltaV/(deltax * B), but I that doesn't really get me anywhere since I'm solving for deltaV of the velocity selector and not the chamber. I'm confused on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show a picture of the set-up and trajectory of the ions?

ehild

Here's a link to the diagram. I hope it works. I wasn't able to copy/paste it out so I'm not sure how visible it is.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2i6pehg.jpg

The argon ions are singly ionized. They miss 1 electron. The charge is therefore 1.6 E-19 C.

I do not understand the formula you used: m=(qr^2B^2)/(2*deltaV)

What is deltaV?

In the chamber, the ion travels along a semicircle of radius R=12 cm with speed v. The centripetal force is equal to the magnetic force: mv^2/R = qvB. You know all data, find the speed v.

The velocity selector let's go a particle across without deflection if the electric and magnetic forces cancel. qE=qvB, that is E=vB. You know v, get the electric field, and the potential difference from that.

The electric force points from the positive plate to the negative one. You have to decide which plate is + and - so as the magnetic force is opposite to the electric force. For that you need to know the direction of the magnetic field (I can not see on the diagram, but you certainly do).

ehild

FAQ: Magnetism/electric fields/mass spectrum help

What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon in which objects exert attractive or repulsive forces on each other. This force is caused by the motion of electric charges, such as electrons, within the material.

How does an electric field work?

An electric field is a region in which electrically charged particles experience a force. This force is created by the electric charges within the field, which can be stationary or in motion.

What is a mass spectrum?

A mass spectrum is a graph that shows the relative abundance of different isotopes of an element or the relative abundance of different molecules in a sample. It is created by analyzing the mass-to-charge ratio of ions in a sample using a mass spectrometer.

How do you calculate the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be calculated using the equation B = μ0*I/l, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and l is the distance between the current and the point where the field is being measured.

What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

The main difference between electric and magnetic fields is that electric fields are produced by electric charges, while magnetic fields are produced by moving electric charges. Electric fields also exert forces on charged particles, while magnetic fields exert forces on moving charged particles.