Magnetization of the free electron gas

• Thread starter chwu
  • Start date
chwu
Homework Statement
Show that, with this definition the total energy of the spin up components reads:
$$U^+ = U_0 (1+x)^{5/3} + \frac{1}{2} N \mu_B B (1+x)$$ where $$U_0=\frac{3}{10} N E_F$$, in terms of the usual Fermi energy of the gas at $$B=0; E_F = \hbar^2 (3\pi^2 N/V)^{2/3}/(2m)$$. Find the corresponding expression for $$U^-$$
Relevant Equations
$$N^+ = \frac{1}{2} N (1+x)$$ and $$N^- = \frac{1}{2} N (1-x)$$
Hello everybody, I tried the following approach. I calculated the density of states for the spin up states:

$$g_+(\epsilon + \mu_BB) = (1/2) g(\epsilon) \Rightarrow g_+ \frac{1}{2} g(\epsilon - \mu_B B)$$. As far as I understand it, this comes from the fact that when there is no magnetic field the spin up and spin down make up excactly half of the density of states (and of the occupation number) Now i'd like to perform the integral $$U_+ = \int_0^{E_F(B)} \epsilon g_+(\epsilon) d\epsilon$$, but for this I need the Fermi energy depending on the magnetic field $$E_F(B)$$ and I do not know yet how to obtain it. In fact I would like to obtain $$E_F(B)$$ in terms of x. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Related to Magnetization of the free electron gas

What is the magnetization of a free electron gas?

The magnetization of a free electron gas refers to the magnetic moment per unit volume of a gas composed of free electrons. This property is influenced by the collective behavior of the electrons in response to an external magnetic field, often analyzed using quantum mechanical principles and statistical mechanics.

How does the Pauli paramagnetism relate to the free electron gas?

Pauli paramagnetism describes the paramagnetic behavior of free electrons due to their intrinsic spin. In a free electron gas, the electrons align their spins in response to an external magnetic field, leading to a net magnetization. This effect is especially significant at low temperatures where the thermal energy is insufficient to randomize the spins.

What role does the density of states play in the magnetization of a free electron gas?

The density of states (DOS) is crucial in determining how many electrons can occupy energy levels at a given energy. For a free electron gas, the DOS influences the distribution of electrons among the spin-up and spin-down states in the presence of a magnetic field, thereby affecting the overall magnetization.

How can the magnetization of a free electron gas be calculated?

The magnetization of a free electron gas can be calculated by considering the difference in the population of spin-up and spin-down electrons under an external magnetic field. This involves integrating the density of states with the Fermi-Dirac distribution and applying the appropriate quantum mechanical principles to account for the spin contributions.

What is the significance of the Fermi energy in the context of free electron gas magnetization?

The Fermi energy is the highest occupied energy level at absolute zero temperature. In the context of magnetization, it determines the distribution of electrons among available energy states. The difference in occupation of spin-up and spin-down states near the Fermi energy in the presence of a magnetic field directly influences the magnetization of the free electron gas.