Magnetization of water surrounding submerged non-magnetic wire

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetization and bound current density in water surrounding a non-magnetic wire with a circular cross section and calculating the total current. The equations used are for H, B, and M, and the solution involves using Ampere's law to find the B-field and then using that to calculate the magnetization in the water.
GoliathPSU

Homework Statement

A long straight wire of circular cross section with radius R carries current I and is immersed
in a large volume of water. The wire is non-magnetic. Calculate the magnetization M(r) in
the water which has a susceptibility χm. What is the bound current density Jb(r) for s > R. Calculate the total current (free plus bound).

Homework Equations

H = [itex]\frac{1}{\mu0}[/itex]B - M
[itex]\oint[/itex]B [itex]\bullet[/itex] dl = [itex]\mu[/itex]0Ienc
[itex]\oint[/itex]H [itex]\bullet[/itex] dl = If, enc
M = [itex]\chi[/itex]mH
Jb = ∇ × M

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I am thinking about it... the magnetization in the water arises from the current (and resultant B-field) carried by the wire, so I feel like I should calculate the B-field cause by the wire with Ampere's law but then I am unsure of how to use that to find the magnetization in the water.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, GoliathPSU. Welcome to PF!

Start by finding an expression for H outside the wire as a function of the distance r from the central axis of the wire.

Related to Magnetization of water surrounding submerged non-magnetic wire

1. What is magnetization of water surrounding submerged non-magnetic wire?

Magnetization of water surrounding submerged non-magnetic wire refers to the alignment of water molecules in a specific direction due to the presence of a magnetic field created by the submerged wire. This phenomenon is also known as water magnetization or magnetic water.

2. How does the presence of a non-magnetic wire affect the magnetization of water?

The non-magnetic wire itself does not have any effect on the magnetization of water. However, when a magnetic field is applied to the wire, it creates a magnetic field in the surrounding water, causing the water molecules to align in a specific direction.

3. What are the potential benefits of magnetized water?

There are claims that magnetized water has various health benefits, such as improved hydration, better nutrient absorption, and increased energy levels. However, these claims are not scientifically proven.

4. Can any type of non-magnetic wire be used to create magnetized water?

No, the wire must be made of a material that can be easily magnetized, such as iron, nickel, or cobalt. Non-magnetic materials, such as copper or aluminum, will not have any effect on water magnetization.

5. Is there any scientific evidence to support the claims of health benefits from magnetized water?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the claimed health benefits of magnetized water. Studies have shown that the magnetic fields produced by submerged wires are too weak to have any significant effect on the properties of water. More research is needed to determine the true effects of magnetized water on human health.

Back