Magnetostatics - field of a current loop

You should be left with a nonzero field in the end.In summary, the conversation was about finding the magnetic field at the center of a square loop with a steady current. The attempt at a solution involved using a right triangle to find the length of the infinitesimal element of line current and using it to determine the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field. However, the integral evaluated to zero and the person is seeking help in finding where they went wrong. The solution may involve substituting different variables and integrating using a cosine term.
darkchild

Homework Statement

Find the magnetic field at the center of a square loop, which carries a steady current I. Let R be the distance from center to side.

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart for a steady line current:
B(r) = μI∫ dl X r
---- ----------------------
4pi r2

r is the vector from the point at which we want to calculate the field (the center, in this case) to the infinitesimal element of line current that is creating the part of the field dB. dl is the infinitesimal length of wire. μ is a constant. 1/r2 is inside the integral.

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

I set the loop in the xy-plane. Using a right triangle with base dl and height R, I found that r = R/cosθ. I took each side of the loop as one wire, and found that the the dl's were

dl = (r sinθ dθ) l' = (R/cosθ)sinθ dθ l' = R tanθ dθ l'.

where l' was the unit vector y-hat in two cases and the unit vector x-hat for the other two wires. Whenever l' was y-hat, r' was x-hat, and vice versa, so all cross products ended up with direction -z', and my integrand was 4 times the magnitude of my cross products times 1/r2:

4/R(-z')∫tanθ*cos2θ dθ =

4/R(-z')∫sinθ cosθ dθ = 4/R(-z')∫sin (2θ) dθ/2 =

2/R(-z')∫sin (2θ) dθ.

I decided that integrating from one end of each wire to the other end corresponded to integrating from some θ = -pi/4 to pi/4 because when r goes from the center to the very end of any wire, a triangle with base = R, height = R is formed (a 45-45-90 triangle).

All seems well to me...except that my integral evaluates to zero:

∫sin (2θ) dθ = .5 (cosθ0 - cos(-θ0)) = 0.

I'm positive that that is incorrect because 4 wires each contributing a downward B field (by the right-hand rule) should add up to a net downward B field.

I'm hoping someone can point out where I went wrong.

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
darkchild said:
dl = (r sinθ dθ) l' = (R/cosθ)sinθ dθ l' = R tanθ dθ l'.

Let [tex] l = Rtan\theta \rightarrow dl = Rsec^{2}\theta d\theta = \frac{Rd\theta}{cos^{2}\theta}[/tex]

When you substitute all of your expressions into the biot-savart equation you should only have a cosine term, which is easy to integrate.

Last edited:

Related to Magnetostatics - field of a current loop

1. What is the definition of "Magnetostatics"?

Magnetostatics is the study of the magnetic fields generated by steady electric currents.

2. How is the field of a current loop calculated?

The field of a current loop can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the point to the current loop.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field around a current loop?

The direction of the magnetic field around a current loop is determined by the right-hand rule, which states that if the current is flowing in the direction of the fingers on the right hand, the thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the shape of the current loop affect the magnetic field?

The shape of the current loop can affect the strength and direction of the magnetic field. For example, a larger loop will have a stronger field, while a non-circular loop may have a more complex field with multiple peaks and valleys.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetostatics?

Magnetostatics has many practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors and generators, magnetic levitation systems, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of Earth's magnetic field and the interactions between magnetic fields and charged particles in space.

Back