Magnetostatics problem: find B and H

In summary, the problem involves a long wire with a current I centered in a long hollow cylinder of inner radius a and outer radius b made of a linear material with permeability \mu. The goal is to find the values of \mathbf{B} and \mathbf{H} at all points. Using Ampere's law and cylindrical coordinates, the solution shows that for 0 < p < a and b < p, \mathbf{B}=\mathbf{H}, and for a < p < b, \mathbf{B} = \mu\ \mathbf{H}. The fact that the cylinder is made of a conductor like steel would result in different values inside the steel due to its high
summerwind

Homework Statement

A long wire carries a current I and is centered in a long hollow cylinder of inner radius a and outer radius b. The cylinder is made of a linear material with permeability [tex]\mu[/tex]. Find [tex]\mathbf{B}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbf{H}[/tex] everywhere.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only free current in the problem is the current in the wire. Therefore, by Ampere's law,

[tex]\mathbf{H} = \frac{I}{2 \pi\ p}\ \boldsymbol{\hat{\phi}}[/tex]

(I'm using cylindrical coordinates with the wire at p = 0 and the current moving in the +z direction.)

For 0 < p < a and b < p, we have [tex]\mathbf{B}=\mathbf{H}[/tex]. For a < p < b, we have [tex]\mathbf{B} = \mu\ \mathbf{H}[/tex].

If this solution is correct, would anything be changed if I said that the hollow cylinder with permeability [tex]\mu[/tex] was also a conductor (made of steel, say)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solutions look right to me, but you use the cgs system & I use SI so to that extent I don't know, but as I say they all look right.

The fact that it would be a conductor, e.g. Cu, is of no consequence. Cu is non-magnetic.

But - you said steel - steel has a very high permeability so to that extent your numbers would be quite different inside the steel.

Related to Magnetostatics problem: find B and H

1. How do you solve a magnetostatics problem?

To solve a magnetostatics problem, you must first identify the given values and the unknown values in the problem. Then, you can apply the appropriate equations, such as Ampere's law or the Biot-Savart law, to calculate the magnetic field strength (B) and magnetic field intensity (H).

2. What is the difference between B and H in magnetostatics?

B (magnetic field strength) and H (magnetic field intensity) are both important parameters used to describe the behavior of magnetic fields. The main difference between them is that B takes into account the effects of all magnetic sources (both free currents and bound currents) in a given region, while H only considers the effects of free currents.

3. Can you determine the direction of the magnetic field using magnetostatics equations?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. For example, for a current-carrying wire, if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the presence of magnetic materials affect a magnetostatics problem?

Magnetic materials, such as iron or nickel, can significantly affect the magnetic field in a given region. These materials have a high magnetic permeability, which means they can easily become magnetized and create their own magnetic fields. This can greatly alter the overall magnetic field and must be taken into account when solving a magnetostatics problem.

5. Are there any real-life applications of magnetostatics?

Magnetostatics has many practical applications, including in electric motors, generators, and transformers, where the interaction between magnetic fields and electric currents is crucial. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), which relies on the manipulation of magnetic fields to produce detailed images of the human body.

Back