Magnitude and Acceleration Problem

In summary, the astronauts are using jet backpacks to push and guide a 148 kg asteroid towards a processing dock. The forces exerted in the process are F1 = 29 N, F2 = 54 N, F3 = 40 N, θ1 = 30°, and θ3 = 60°. To find the asteroid's acceleration, the formula F=ma is used. By solving for the x and y components of acceleration, it is determined that the magnitude of acceleration is 0.748 and the angle is 26.5 degrees below the +x axis. The equation for Ay was initially incorrect, but was corrected by subtracting the negative component.
MFlood7356
1. Three astronauts, propelled by jet backpacks, push and guide a 148 kg asteroid toward a processing dock, exerting the forces shown in the figure, with F1 = 29 N, F2 = 54 N, F3 = 40 N, θ1 = 30°, and θ3 = 60°. What is the (a) magnitude and (b) angle (measured relative to the positive direction of the x axis) of the asteroid's acceleration?

2. F=ma

3. So I've been trying to do this problem and I can't seem to figure it out. I'm on my last attempt on my online homework so I really need some help. Here's how far I've gotten:
Ax=((29cos30)+(54cos0)+(40cos60))/148=0.667
Ay=((29sin30)+(54sin0)+(40sin60))/148=0.332
sqrt0.3322+0.6672=0.748
invertan(0.332/0.667)=26.5degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether angle θ3 =60 degrees is above or below the + x-axis?

The third angle is below the x axis.

MFlood7356 said:
The third angle is below the x axis.
In that case
Ay=((29sin30)+(54sin0)+(40sin60))/148=0.332
this equation is wrong. It should be
Ay=((29sin30)+(54sin0) - (40sin60))/148=0.332

So the only thing I did wrong was not negate that part?

Yes.

Related to Magnitude and Acceleration Problem

1. What is magnitude and acceleration problem?

The magnitude and acceleration problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the magnitude and acceleration of an object in motion. It is often used to understand the behavior of objects in motion and their relationship with forces.

2. How do you calculate magnitude and acceleration?

To calculate magnitude, you can use the formula: magnitude = mass x velocity. To calculate acceleration, you can use the formula: acceleration = change in velocity / time taken. Both magnitude and acceleration are vector quantities and have direction as well as magnitude.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and acceleration?

Magnitude is a measure of the size or amount of something, while acceleration is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object changes over time. Magnitude is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while acceleration is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. What are some real-life applications of magnitude and acceleration problem?

The magnitude and acceleration problem is used in a variety of real-life applications, including engineering, sports, and transportation. For example, engineers use this problem to design structures that can withstand certain magnitudes of force and acceleration. Athletes and coaches also use it to analyze and improve performance in sports. In transportation, understanding magnitude and acceleration is important for designing and maintaining safe and efficient vehicles.

5. What are some common misconceptions about magnitude and acceleration problem?

One common misconception is that acceleration is always constant. In reality, acceleration can change over time, as seen in objects experiencing varying forces. Another misconception is that magnitude and acceleration are the same thing. While they are related, they are different quantities that measure different aspects of motion. Lastly, some may think that only objects in motion can have acceleration, but acceleration can also occur when an object is at rest and experiences a change in velocity.