Magnitude and direction of impulse of baseball

In summary, A baseball player hits a baseball (m = 0.145 kg) with an initial horizontal velocity of 35 m/s. The ball is hit at an angle of 45 degrees in the first quadrant with a final velocity of 51 m/s. To find the magnitude and direction of the impulse imparted on the ball, you need to consider the x and y components of the velocities. The y component of the final velocity is found by multiplying the final velocity by the sine of the angle. The x component is found by multiplying the final velocity by the cosine of the angle. The y component of the initial velocity is equal to 0 because the ball is thrown horizontally. To find the magnitude of the impulse, you can use
dorian_stokes

Homework Statement

A baseball player hits a baseball (m = 0.145 kg) as shown in the figure below. The ball is initially traveling horizontally with speed of 35 m/s. The batter hits a fly ball as shown, with a speed vf = 51 m/s. What is the magnitude and direction of the impulse imparted on the ball. The initial velocity is going along the x-axis in the negative direction and the final velocity is going at a 45 degree angle in the first quadrant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I had the initial velocity at -35. The final velocity I had the final velocity* cos theta. I don't know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
dorian_stokes said:
First I had the initial velocity at -35. The final velocity I had the final velocity* cos theta. I don't know where to go from here.
You need to consider both x (horizontal) and y (vertical) components of the velocity. What's the y component of the final velocity?

Once you have that, how would you compute the impulse?

The y component is final velocity* sin theta. I have the x component for both final a initial velocities and the y component for the final velocity. The y component for the initial will be just the -35m/s. How do I add them together to get the magnitude?

dorian_stokes said:
The y component is final velocity* sin theta.
OK.
I have the x component for both final a initial velocities and the y component for the final velocity.
OK.
The y component for the initial will be just the -35m/s.
No. (It's thrown horizontally.)
How do I add them together to get the magnitude?
Once you get the final components of the impulse, then you can find the magnitude using Pythagorus (like you would with any other vector).

But before you do anything, how will you calculate the impulse? How does it relate to the velocities?

Impulse is dp=mv_f-mv_i. I have the final velocity* cos theta+ final velocity *sin theta+ initial velocity. Is this right?

dorian_stokes said:
Impulse is dp=mv_f-mv_i.
OK. Impulse = Δp. But you need to find the x and y components of the Impulse separately:
Impulsex = m(Vfx -Vix)
Impulsey = m(Vfy - Viy)

Thanks I got the answer. I knew how to get the magnitude but got stuck with how to set it up after finding the components.

I have one more problem it asks for the direction of the impulse imparted to the bat. I have the magnitude but don't know how would I find the direction.

dorian_stokes said:
I have one more problem it asks for the direction of the impulse imparted to the bat. I have the magnitude but don't know how would I find the direction.
The impulse that the ball imparts to the bat is equal and opposite to the impulse the bat imparts to the ball. (This is from Newton's 3rd law.)

Related to Magnitude and direction of impulse of baseball

What is the magnitude of the impulse of a baseball?

The magnitude of the impulse of a baseball is the product of its mass and change in velocity. It is measured in units of Newton-seconds (N*s).

What is the direction of the impulse of a baseball?

The direction of the impulse of a baseball is in the same direction as the change in velocity. This is based on Newton's Third Law which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How is the impulse of a baseball related to its momentum?

The impulse of a baseball is directly related to its momentum. In fact, the impulse is equal to the change in momentum. This can be expressed as the equation J = Δp, where J is impulse and Δp is change in momentum.

Does the magnitude of the impulse of a baseball change during a collision?

Yes, the magnitude of the impulse of a baseball can change during a collision. This is due to the fact that the velocity of the baseball can change during the collision, resulting in a change in impulse.

How can the direction of the impulse of a baseball be changed?

The direction of the impulse of a baseball can be changed by changing the direction of the force applied to it. By changing the direction of the force, the direction of the change in velocity will also change, resulting in a change in the direction of the impulse.