Magnitude of average acceleration

In summary, a 50.7 g superball traveling at 25.1 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 22.8 m/s. A high speed camera records this event. Using the time of contact with the wall as 3.5 ms, the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball during this time period can be calculated using the formula a = (v2-v1)/t. The final answer is 0.273 m/s^2.
bearhug
A 50.7 g superball traveling at 25.1 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 22.8 m/s. A high speed camera records this event. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 3.5 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball during this time period?

Unfortunately I'm stuck on another problem. For this one I first converted 3.5 ms to 0.0035s. I chose an arbitrary time, such as 4 seconds to give some perspective on time. I multiplied 25.1m/s x 4s to get a distance thinking that it took the ball 4s to hit the wall at that velocity. 25.1 x 4 = 100.4m. Then I determined the time it would take the ball to bounce back the same distance but at 22.8m/s using cross mulitplying and solving for t (time). 22.8m/ 1s = 100.4m/t. Then I used this info. to calculate average acceleration= (v2-v1)/ (t2-t1). I assume that when it asks for the magnitude it means absolute value, correct me if I'm wrong. The answer I got was 0.273 m/s^2 and it's wrong. I used this approach for another problem and it worked so let me know if this is at all the correct approach or if I'm completely off.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention that I also included the 0.0035 in the total time to calculate the average acceleration assuming that initial time is 0s.

bearhug said:
Then I used this info. to calculate average acceleration= (v2-v1)/ (t2-t1).
This is all you need. What's v2 and v1? What's the elapsed time?

The problem is much easier than you think. :wink:

v2 and v1 are in opposite directions, right?
So since v1 is a negative quantity, v2 -(-v1) = v2 + v1...
Magnitude would just be the magnitude of the acceleration.. not the magnitudes of the velocities.

The thing is I don't know the elapsed time. I took the 0.0035 s as when the ball is in contact with the wall.

bearhug said:
The thing is I don't know the elapsed time. I took the 0.0035 s as when the ball is in contact with the wall.
That is the elapsed time!

You know I used that before and got it wrong then tried it again and it's right. I must be off on my math today because I was stressing over something I already knew how to do.

I got a question similar to this and the way i did it was acceleration= velocity of the ball where its going (22.8 m/s) subtracted from the velocity before it hits the brick wall (25.1 m/s) divided by the time of 3.5ms. Please correct me if i am wrong.

TithersTP said:
I got a question similar to this and the way i did it was acceleration= velocity of the ball where its going (22.8 m/s) subtracted from the velocity before it hits the brick wall (25.1 m/s) divided by the time of 3.5ms. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Assuming that you gave the two velocities different signs--since they are in opposite directions--your calculation should be correct.

Related to Magnitude of average acceleration

What is the magnitude of average acceleration?

The magnitude of average acceleration is the measure of how much an object's velocity changes over a specific time interval. It is a scalar quantity that is represented by a number and a unit of measurement.

How is the magnitude of average acceleration calculated?

The magnitude of average acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time interval in which the change occurred. This is represented by the equation: average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time interval.

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is a measure of the overall change in an object's velocity over a specific time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the measure of an object's acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration takes into account the entire motion of an object, while instantaneous acceleration focuses on a specific point in time.

How is the magnitude of average acceleration related to an object's motion?

The magnitude of average acceleration is directly related to an object's motion. It measures the change in an object's velocity, which is a key component of an object's motion. Objects with a higher magnitude of average acceleration are experiencing a greater change in velocity, and therefore, are moving at a faster rate.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the magnitude of average acceleration?

Understanding the magnitude of average acceleration is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and sports. It can be used to analyze the motion of objects, design structures that can withstand certain accelerations, and improve athletic performance by optimizing acceleration techniques.