Magnitude of electric field at point A using components

In summary: The total electric field at point A is given by E=∫0Φ[2dEcos(∂)]=∫0Φ(λk/R)cos(∂)d∂, where λ=Q/L. The angle ∂ is given as 60 degrees, and plugging in the given values, the correct answer is 428 N/C.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

https://imgur.com/gallery/YwCap

In side are image of figure, and questions.

Homework Equations

E = kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have an electric field where the y compontents cancel.

I have [itex]2Ecos(∂) = E (Electric field at point A) [/itex]

- 2 because there is a top and bottom part of rod with same magnitude.

- Electric field formula product cos(greekletter) to get the x component only

I have [itex]E = kQ/R^2 [/itex]

big R because that's the radius given, and it will never change.

[itex] Q/L = \Lambda, dQ = dL\Lambda [/itex]

Okay now here is where I'm confused...

I can set [itex] dL = R*d(∂)[/itex], right? Because essentially that is the arclength, right?!?

[itex] dQ = R*d(∂) * \Lambda [/itex]

so [itex] dE =( R*d(∂) * \Lambda * k ) / R^2 [/itex]

pull out constants

E = (R * lambda * k ) / R^2 * integral of d(∂), from 0 to R∂, (the acrlength of the rod)

So now you have

[itex]E = R^2 * \Lambda * k * ∂ / R^2 [/itex]

but [itex] Q = \Lambda * ∂ * R [/itex]

[itex] E = Q*R*k / R^2 [/itex]

[itex]E = Q * k / R [/itex]

but

[itex]2Ecos(∂) = E[/itex]

so I have

2*Q * k * cos(∂) / R

Now plugging in the values given q = 35.5 x 10^-9 R = .785 m ∂ = 60 degrees k = 8.99x10^9

I get answer 407 N/C but my book is telling me 428. Can anyone explain what I did wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When writing a post, hit the Σ key, it provides Greek letters. Clicking on the desired one, it appears in your text. By the way, this is the Greek alphabet:
stock-vector-vector-illustration-of-the-ancient-greek-alphabet-simple-pic-470453465.jpg

Can anyone help me with this one :< sorry to bump

Sorry to bump again. I know there is a lot to read and follow but if anyone can help me I would appreciate it

Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement

https://imgur.com/gallery/YwCap

In side are image of figure, and questions.

Homework Equations

E = kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have an electric field where the y compontents cancel.

I have [itex]2Ecos(∂) = E (Electric field at point A) [/itex]

- 2 because there is a top and bottom part of rod with same magnitude.
What is the angle ∂?

Rijad Hadzic said:
- Electric field formula product cos(greekletter) to get the x component only
Which Greek letter?
Rijad Hadzic said:
I have [itex]E = kQ/R^2 [/itex]

big R because that's the radius given, and it will never change.

[itex] Q/L = \Lambda, dQ = dL\Lambda [/itex]

Okay now here is where I'm confused...

I can set [itex] dL = R*d(∂)[/itex], right? Because essentially that is the arclength, right?!?

[itex] dQ = R*d(∂) * \Lambda [/itex]

so [itex] dE =( R*d(∂) * \Lambda * k ) / R^2 [/itex]

pull out constants

E = (R * lambda * k ) / R^2 * integral of d(∂), from 0 to R∂, (the acrlength of the rod)

So now you have

[itex]E = R^2 * \Lambda * k * ∂ / R^2 [/itex]

but [itex] Q = \Lambda * ∂ * R [/itex]

[itex] E = Q*R*k / R^2 [/itex]

[itex]E = Q * k / R [/itex]

but

[itex]2Ecos(∂) = E[/itex]

so I have

2*Q * k * cos(∂) / R

Now plugging in the values given q = 35.5 x 10^-9 R = .785 m ∂ = 60 degrees k = 8.99x10^9

I get answer 407 N/C but my book is telling me 428. Can anyone explain what I did wrong?

You have to add up (integrate) the x components of the electric fields due to the charge of a line element dΛ=Rd∂, between 0 and Φ.

Related to Magnitude of electric field at point A using components

What is the magnitude of electric field at point A using components?

The magnitude of electric field at point A using components is the measurement of the strength of the electric field at a specific point, calculated by breaking down the electric field into its horizontal and vertical components and using vector addition to find the resultant magnitude.

How do you calculate the magnitude of electric field at point A using components?

The magnitude of electric field at point A can be calculated by using the equation E = √(Ex² + Ey²), where Ex and Ey are the horizontal and vertical components of the electric field, respectively.

Why is it important to calculate the magnitude of electric field at point A using components?

Calculating the magnitude of electric field at a specific point is important because it helps in understanding the strength and direction of the electric field at that point, which is crucial in many applications such as designing electrical circuits and determining the force on charged particles.

What factors affect the magnitude of electric field at point A using components?

The magnitude of electric field at point A can be affected by various factors such as the distance from the source of the electric field, the amount of charge present, and the type of material the electric field is passing through.

How does the direction of the electric field affect the magnitude at point A using components?

The direction of the electric field can affect the magnitude at point A by changing the values of the horizontal and vertical components, which in turn affects the resultant magnitude of the electric field at that point.

Back