Magnitude of force exerted by cables on a tower

In summary, the tower is 70 m high and the x and z components of the vector sum of the forces exerted on the tower by the 3 cables are zero, with a force of FAB= 2 kN. The lengths and unit vectors of all 3 cables have been found, but the magnitude of FAC and FAD are still unknown. To find them, the sum of forces in each of the 3 dimensions (including the forces at the bottom of the tower) should be set to zero, allowing for the solution of the cable tensions. A screenshot of the drawing and work has been attached.
CoilMaker
Given the tower is 70 m high, and the force of FAB= 2 kN and the x and z components of the vector sum of the forces exerted on the tower by the 3 cables are zero. I have found the lengths of all 3 cables. I have also found the unit vectors for all 3 cables. I just do not know how to find the magnitude of FAC and FAD. I have attached a screen shot of the drawing and my work.

Attachments

• ThreeCables.doc
    91 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The vector sum of all the forces on the tower has to equal zero. Write the sum of the forces in each of the 3 dimentions (including the forces at the bottom of the tower), and set them to zero. You should have enough information to solve for the cable tensions.

I would first like to commend you for your thorough work in finding the lengths of the cables and the unit vectors. Your approach to solving this problem is commendable. To find the magnitude of FAC and FAD, we can use the Pythagorean theorem and the fact that the x and z components of the vector sum of the forces are zero.

First, let's consider the triangle formed by cables AB and BC. We can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of cable BC, which is also equal to the magnitude of FAC. We know that the length of AB is 70 m and the length of BC is 40 m. Therefore, the length of AC can be found using the Pythagorean theorem as follows:

AC^2 = AB^2 + BC^2
AC^2 = (70 m)^2 + (40 m)^2
AC^2 = 4900 m^2 + 1600 m^2
AC^2 = 6500 m^2
AC = √6500 m
AC = 80.62 m

Therefore, the magnitude of FAC is 80.62 m.

Next, let's consider the triangle formed by cables AB and BD. Again, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of cable BD, which is also equal to the magnitude of FAD. We know that the length of AB is 70 m and the length of BD is 50 m. Therefore, the length of AD can be found using the Pythagorean theorem as follows:

AD^2 = AB^2 + BD^2
AD^2 = (70 m)^2 + (50 m)^2
AD^2 = 4900 m^2 + 2500 m^2
AD^2 = 7400 m^2
AD = √7400 m
AD = 86.02 m

Therefore, the magnitude of FAD is 86.02 m.

In conclusion, the magnitudes of FAC and FAD are 80.62 m and 86.02 m, respectively. I hope this helps you in your calculations. Keep up the great work!

Related to Magnitude of force exerted by cables on a tower

What is the magnitude of force exerted by cables on a tower?

The magnitude of force exerted by cables on a tower depends on various factors such as the height and weight of the tower, the number and tension of the cables, and the external forces acting on the tower. It can be calculated using mathematical equations and simulations.

How does the number of cables affect the magnitude of force on a tower?

The more cables attached to a tower, the greater the magnitude of force exerted on the tower. This is because each cable contributes to supporting the weight of the tower and counteracting external forces such as wind or seismic activity. However, the tension of the cables also plays a significant role in determining the overall force.

What is the role of tension in determining the magnitude of force on a tower?

The tension of the cables is a crucial factor in determining the magnitude of force on a tower. If the tension is too low, the cables may not be able to support the weight of the tower, resulting in a collapse. On the other hand, if the tension is too high, it can cause excessive stress on the tower and potentially lead to structural damage.

How do external forces impact the magnitude of force on a tower?

External forces such as wind, earthquakes, and ice can significantly affect the magnitude of force on a tower. These forces can create additional stresses on the tower and the cables, which can increase the overall force exerted on the tower. Engineers must consider these external forces when designing a tower and its support system.

Can the magnitude of force on a tower be controlled?

The magnitude of force on a tower can be controlled to some extent by adjusting the design and tension of the cables. However, external forces cannot be controlled, and their impact on the tower must be considered in the design process. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the tower and cables can also help to mitigate the effects of external forces and ensure the safety and stability of the structure.