Magnitude of Initial velocity of Spacecraft

In summary, a spacecraft with two engines fired for 572 seconds, producing acceleration in the x direction of 5.15 m/s2 and in the y direction of 7.41 m/s2. At the end of the firing period, the craft had velocity components of 3782 m/s and 4842 m/s in the x and y directions, respectively. To calculate the magnitude of the initial velocity, we can use the equation ##|\vec{v}|=\sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}##. However, using the suvat equations, we can also use ##v=u+at## to find the initial velocity. Both methods result in a magnitude of 11.42 m/s.
dragon18
On a spacecraft two engines fire for a time of 572 s. One gives the craft an acceleration in the x direction of ax = 5.15 m/s2, while the other produces an acceleration in the y direction of ay = 7.41 m/s2. At the end of the firing period, the craft has velocity components of vx = 3782 m/s and vy = 4842 m/s. Calculate the magnitude of the initial velocity.

I'm not sure what equations to use.

Attempt
add the square root of 3782 and the square root of 4842
take the square root of the sum 131.082
=11.42 m/s(incorrect)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what equations to use.
This is motion with constant acceleration isn't it?
Use the suvat equations.

Attempt
add the square root of 3782 and the square root of 4842
take the square root of the sum 131.082
You are saying you did: ##\sqrt{\sqrt{v_x}+\sqrt{x_y}}## ?
=11.42 m/s(incorrect)
Well yes - it would be.

1. those numbers are the final velocities
2. the magnitude of a vector is ##|\vec{v}|=\sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}##

Last edited:
so do I use the equation v=u+at?

Try it and see.

which number do I use though? It keeps telling me its wrong no matter what I put

Please show your working.

Related to Magnitude of Initial velocity of Spacecraft

What is the magnitude of initial velocity of a spacecraft?

The magnitude of initial velocity of a spacecraft refers to the speed and direction at which a spacecraft is launched into orbit. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per second (km/s).

How is the magnitude of initial velocity of a spacecraft calculated?

The magnitude of initial velocity of a spacecraft is calculated using the spacecraft's mass and the amount of force applied during the launch. This calculation is based on Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

Why is the magnitude of initial velocity of a spacecraft important?

The magnitude of initial velocity is important because it determines the trajectory and speed at which a spacecraft travels through space. It also plays a crucial role in determining the amount of fuel and energy needed for a successful launch and mission.

What factors affect the magnitude of initial velocity of a spacecraft?

The magnitude of initial velocity of a spacecraft is affected by various factors such as the mass of the spacecraft, the amount of force applied during launch, and the gravitational pull of the planet it is launching from. Other factors, such as atmospheric conditions and the design of the spacecraft, can also impact the magnitude of initial velocity.

How does the magnitude of initial velocity of a spacecraft change during its journey?

The magnitude of initial velocity of a spacecraft may change during its journey due to various factors such as gravitational pull from other planets, the use of thrusters or other propulsion systems, and the presence of space debris or other objects. However, the initial velocity is crucial in setting the trajectory and speed of the spacecraft and any changes must be carefully calculated and planned for by scientists and engineers.

Back