Magnitude of q ~ What am I doing wrong?

• Thread starter Illuminitwit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, the problem involves two equal charges separated by a distance of 3.7 x 10^-10 m and a force of 2.37 x 10^-3 N between them. The equation for the force between two charges is F = k(q1q2/r^2), but since the charges are equal, q1 = q2 = q. Solving for q gives a magnitude of 3.61 x 10^-16 C. This can be checked by calculating the force between two charges with q = q1 = q2.
Illuminitwit
Magnitude of "q" ~ What am I doing wrong?

Homework Statement

This is my homework problem:
"Two equal charges are separated by 3.7 x 10^-10 m.
The force between the charges has a magnitude of 2.37 x 10^-3 N. What is the magnitude of q on the charges?"

Homework Equations

F(electricity) = k(Coulomb)(q1 • q2)/r^2
E = F(e)/q0
E = k(C) • q/r^2
...I can't really seem to think of any other relevant equations for this particular problem, though I have a lot of others that go along with this electricity unit in Physics. If you can think of some that apply that I missed, please let me know. :)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my insanity work below, hahaha. I tried two approaches and got the same answer, but I still don't think it's correct:

(a)
F = kc(q1q2/r^2)

2.37 x 10^-3 = 8.99 x 10^9 • q1q2 / (3.7 x 10^-10)^2

F • r^2 = kc • q1q2
F • r^2 / kc = q1q2
2.37 x 10^-3 • (3.7 x 10^-10)^2 / 8.99 x 10^9 = q1q2

q1q2 = 3.61 x 10^-32

(b)
E = kc • q/r^2

2.37 x 10^-3 = 8.99 x 10^9 • q/(3.7 x 10^-10)^2
2.37 x 10^-3 / 8.99 x 10^9 = q/(3.7 x 10^-10)^2
2.37 x 10^-3 / 8.99 x 10^9 • (3.7 x 10^-10)^2 = q

q = 3.61 x 10^-32

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please help me. I don't really know what I'm doing wrong, or if I'm doing anything wrong. I have a feeling I got this incorrect, however. Also, I don't exactly understand the concept of "q". I know what q1 and q2 are, but if anyone could explain it just one more way (I've already heard it three different approaches, but I still don't comprehend), I'd be much obliged for any input as soon as possible. Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

The problem statement gives you one very important hint, two EQUAL charges. Therefore q1=q2=q and the equation for the force between two charges becomes, [tex]F=k \frac{q^2}{r^2}[/tex]. What they mean with the magnitude of q on the charges is, how much charge do q1 and q2 have,ignoring the sign.

Thanks!

So basically, I calculated for q^2? I just take the square-root of my answer for q?

Yep, you can then check your answer by calculating what the force would be between q1 and q2 given q=q1=q2.

Yay! The sun came up and suddenly Physics isn't half as evil as I thought! ;)

Related to Magnitude of q ~ What am I doing wrong?

1. What does "Magnitude of q" mean?

The magnitude of q refers to the size or intensity of the variable q. It is a measure of the strength or value of q, and can be represented by a numerical value or a unit of measurement.

2. How do I calculate the magnitude of q?

The calculation of magnitude of q will depend on the specific context and definition of q. In general, it involves determining the size or strength of q using a mathematical formula or measurement.

3. Why is the magnitude of q important?

The magnitude of q is important because it provides valuable information about the variable q, such as its impact or significance in a system or experiment. It can also help with making comparisons and drawing conclusions.

4. Can the magnitude of q be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of q can be negative. This indicates that the variable q has a negative value or direction, and its strength or size is represented by a negative number.

5. What factors can influence the magnitude of q?

The factors that can influence the magnitude of q will depend on the specific variable q and its definition. In general, it can be affected by other variables, external conditions, and the method or units used to measure it.