Magnitude of the change in momentum equation

In summary: Then, you just need to read the question and see that it wants the magnitude of the change in... the magnitude of the change in momentum.
emily081715

Homework Statement

A single gas molecule of inertia m is trapped in a box and travels back and forth with constant speed v between opposite walls A and B a distance l apart. At each collision with a wall, the molecule reverses direction without changing speed.
Write algebraic expressions for the magnitude of the change in momentum of the molecule as it collides with wall B.

Homework Equations

Δp

The Attempt at a Solution

i know i am looking for a change in momentum and tried answers such as p=mv. I know the the equation does not depend on l but i am unsure how you are suppose to figure out the answer

Physics news on Phys.org
The change in something is the final thing minus the initial thing.
For all these momentum problems the start is the same:
1. write a heading "before"
1.1 draw a picture of the initial situation (here it is a particle headed to a wall, it has an arrow on it labelled "v" pointing towards the wall and the particle itself is labelled "m"
1.2 write ##p_i=\cdots## whatever the total initial momentum is ... in this case ##p_i=mv##
2. write the heading "after"
2.1 as 1.1 but for the situation "after" the collision ... here the arrow points the opposite way but all the labels are the same: do you see why?
2.2 write ##p_f=\cdots## whatever the final momentum comes to in terms of m and v etc ... remember that velocity is a vector.
3. write the heading "change in momentum ##\Delta p = p_f-p_i##
3.1 use the previous 2 sections to do the math.

You seem to be having a lot of trouble with this section of your work because you do not know what many of the terms mean. You should review your coursework so far, paying particular attention to definitions.

Simon Bridge said:
The change in something is the final thing minus the initial thing.
For all these momentum problems the start is the same:
1. write a heading "before"
1.1 draw a picture of the initial situation (here it is a particle headed to a wall, it has an arrow on it labelled "v" pointing towards the wall and the particle itself is labelled "m"
1.2 write ##p_i=\cdots## whatever the total initial momentum is ... in this case ##p_i=mv##
2. write the heading "after"
2.1 as 1.1 but for the situation "after" the collision ... here the arrow points the opposite way but all the labels are the same: do you see why?
2.2 write ##p_f=\cdots## whatever the final momentum comes to in terms of m and v etc ... remember that velocity is a vector.
3. write the heading "change in momentum ##\Delta p = p_f-p_i##
3.1 use the previous 2 sections to do the math.

You seem to be having a lot of trouble with this section of your work because you do not know what many of the terms mean. You should review your coursework so far, paying particular attention to definitions.
would that mean the the equation Δp=-mv-mv?

emily081715 said:

Yes, although since the collision take place at both end sof the box, I'd say you are looking for the maginitude of the change in momentum.

PeroK said:
Yes, although since the collision stake place at both end sof the box, I'd say you are looking for the maginitude of the change in momentum.
so i will be using the equation p=mv?

emily081715 said:
so i will be using the equation p=mv?

You can always use that equation. It's how you interpret it. Do you understand what is happening to the momentum of the ball?

PeroK said:
You can always use that equation. It's how you interpret it. Do you understand what is happening to the momentum of the ball?
i understand that before the collision its momentum is p=mv and after the collision, the momentum is the same only it is in the opposite direction so the equation after is p=-mv

emily081715 said:
i understand that before the collision its momentum is p=mv and after the collision, the momentum is the same only it is in the opposite direction so the equation after is p=-mv

You're right, but if you use an equation twice, you need to distinguish between, in this case, the two momenta. You should be writing:

##p_i = mv## and ##p_f = -mv##

PeroK said:
You're right, but if you use an equation twice, you need to distinguish between, in this case, the two momenta. You should be writing:

##p_i = mv## and ##p_f = -mv##
would the mean that the expression i am looking for be mv=-mv

emily081715 said:
would the mean that the expression i am looking for be mv=-mv

Let's go back to post #3, where you nearly had the answer:

emily081715 said:

I don't really understand why you didn't continue and write: ##\Delta p = -mv - mv = -2mv##

Then, you just need to read the question and see that it wants the magnitude of the change in momentum.

PeroK said:
Let's go back to post #3, where you nearly had the answer:
I don't really understand why you didn't continue and write: ##\Delta p = -mv - mv = -2mv##

Then, you just need to read the question and see that it wants the magnitude of the change in momentum.
is this the equation for the change in momentum of the whole system or when it collides with both walls?

If ##\Delta p = -2mv## what is the magnitude of ##\Delta p##?

PeroK said:
If ##\Delta p = -2mv## what is the magnitude of ##\Delta p##?
2mv

emily081715 said:
2mv

And that's your answer!

Related to Magnitude of the change in momentum equation

1. What is the magnitude of the change in momentum equation?

The magnitude of the change in momentum equation is a mathematical representation of the change in momentum of an object. It is expressed as the product of mass and velocity, and it can be calculated using the formula Δp = mΔv.

2. How is the magnitude of the change in momentum equation used in science?

The magnitude of the change in momentum equation is used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to understand and predict the motion of objects. It is a fundamental principle in the study of dynamics and is often applied in analyzing collisions, explosions, and other types of motion.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the change in momentum?

The magnitude of the change in momentum is affected by two main factors: mass and velocity. A larger mass or a higher velocity will result in a greater change in momentum. Other factors that can influence the magnitude of change in momentum include external forces and the angle of collision or impact.

4. How is the magnitude of the change in momentum related to Newton's third law of motion?

According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The magnitude of the change in momentum equation reflects this law by showing that the change in momentum of one object is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the change in momentum of the other object involved in the interaction.

5. Can the magnitude of the change in momentum equation be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the change in momentum equation can be negative. This occurs when there is a decrease in momentum, such as when an object slows down or changes direction. A negative value simply indicates a change in momentum in the opposite direction from the initial momentum of the object.