Magnitude of the energy for interference maxima

In summary, the problem involves finding the order of magnitude of energies required for electrons and helium nuclei to observe up to three interference maxima in a crystal with a planar spacing of 3.2 A0. Using equations (I) and (II), the wavelength can be found, which is then used in the equation for energy (E = (1/2)mv^2). Substituting the values, the energy for electrons is found to be (1/2)*(9*10^-31)*((2*3.2*10^-10)/(nh))^2 and for helium nuclei is (1/2)*(4*1.67*10^-27)*((2*3.2*10^-10)/(
soul

Homework Statement

Consider a crystal with planar spacing 3.2 A0. What order of magnitude of energies would
one need for (a) electrons, (b) helium nuclei (mass = 4*proton mass) to observe up to three
interference maxima?

Homework Equations

2d.sinx = n.lambda (I)
lambda = h / p (II)
E = (1/2)mv22

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this question, I thought I must first find the wavelength and can use other equetions that I wrote above. Actually, I don't know how I can use them but since in the question, mass is important, I thought an equation with mass can work.

Physics news on Phys.org
So I tried to solve this question by using equations (I) and (II). Firstly, I set equation (I) as 2d.sinx = nh/p and solved for sine as sine = nh/(2dp). Then, I used equation (II) as h/p = lambda and found the wavelength as lambda = nh/(2dp). Finally, I used equation E = (1/2)mv22 and substituted the wavelength that I found above as v = 2dp/nh. Then, I found energy for electrons as E = (1/2)*(9*10^-31)*((2*3.2*10^-10)/(nh))^2 and for helium nuclei as E = (1/2)*(4*1.67*10^-27)*((2*3.2*10^-10)/(nh))^2 However, I am not sure if this is right or wrong. Could you please check it for me? Thanks in advance.

Related to Magnitude of the energy for interference maxima

1. What is the magnitude of the energy for interference maxima?

The magnitude of the energy for interference maxima refers to the amplitude or strength of the interfering waves at the location of the interference maximum. It is a measure of the intensity of the interference pattern.

2. How is the magnitude of the energy for interference maxima calculated?

The magnitude of the energy for interference maxima is calculated by taking the square of the sum of the amplitudes of the interfering waves. This is known as the principle of superposition.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the energy for interference maxima?

The magnitude of the energy for interference maxima can be affected by the wavelength of the interfering waves, the distance between the sources, and the relative phase of the waves. These factors can either increase or decrease the magnitude of the interference maxima.

4. How does the magnitude of the energy for interference maxima change with distance?

The magnitude of the energy for interference maxima decreases with increasing distance from the sources. This is due to the spreading out of the interfering waves, resulting in a decrease in their amplitudes at any given point.

5. What is the relationship between the magnitude of the energy for interference maxima and the number of sources?

The magnitude of the energy for interference maxima is directly proportional to the number of sources. This means that as the number of sources increases, the magnitude of the interference maxima also increases, resulting in a more intense interference pattern.

Back