Magnitude of the maximum torque on a current loop.

In summary, the maximum torque on the current loop in the given scenario can be calculated using the equation F=(IA)Bsin(theta) and the magnitude is approximately .001835262N*m. The error in the calculation was due to an incorrect conversion of area from cm^2 to m^2.
shaizen

Homework Statement

A current loop in a motor has an area of 0.62 cm^2. It carries a 207 mA current in a uniform field of 1.43 T. What is the magnitude of the maximum torque on the current loop?

A = .0062 m^2
I = .207 A
B = 1.43 T

Homework Equations

F=(IA)Bsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

F = (.207)(.0062)(1.43)sin90 = .001835262N*m

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have finished all the problems assigned to me but the computer tells me this answer is wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi shaizen, welcome to PF.
Your conversion of area from cm^2 to m^2 is wrong. Check it.

Thanks a lot! I knew it was something simple I wasn't paying attention to.

FAQ: Magnitude of the maximum torque on a current loop.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force acting on an object. It is the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is a current loop?

A current loop is a closed path formed by an electric current flowing through a conductor. It can be in the shape of a circle, square, or any other closed shape.

How is the magnitude of maximum torque on a current loop calculated?

The magnitude of maximum torque on a current loop is calculated by multiplying the current flowing through the loop, the strength of the magnetic field the loop is in, and the area of the loop perpendicular to the magnetic field.

What factors affect the magnitude of maximum torque on a current loop?

The magnitude of maximum torque on a current loop is affected by the strength of the current, the strength of the magnetic field, the angle between the current and the magnetic field, and the size and shape of the loop.

Why is the magnitude of maximum torque important?

The magnitude of maximum torque is important because it determines the rotational force acting on a current loop, which can affect the stability and movement of the loop. It is also a key factor in understanding the behavior of electric motors and generators.

Back