Magnitude of the resultant acceleration

In summary: I was using the concept of the two velocities being vectors and that the resultant vector was sqrt(a^2+b^2) I was able to get tangential acceleration, and angular acceleration from the information of the first couple questions and the problem statement. OK - you have a strategy. How did you apply it?I have seen many other people trying to answer variations of this question and so far no one has actually gotten the right answer. they are all close but none quite right. You only need one person to get the right answer - and that person could be you. But you have to try.I no longer remember some of the ways I have tried because I have been doing this over several days.
Vlipfire

Homework Statement

An electric turntable 0.760m in diameter is rotating about a fixed axis with an initial angular velocity of 0.250rev/s . The angular acceleration is 0.900rev/s2 .

what is the magnitude of the resultant acceleration of point on the tip of the blade at time 0.200

Homework Equations

none given
the angular velocity at time 0.200 is 0.43
the tangential speed at time 0.200 is 1.03 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried doing sqrt(tangential acceleration^2 + radial acceleration^2)
my answer attempts are

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Vlipfire said:

Homework Statement

An electric turntable [R=]0.760m in diameter is rotating about a fixed axis with an initial angular velocity of [ω=]0.250rev/s . The angular acceleration is [α=]0.900rev/s2 .

what is the magnitude of the resultant acceleration of point on the tip of the blade at time 0.200
0.200 what? (units?)
What "blade"?

Relevant equations none given
That does not mean there are no equations that are relevant though.

OK - but why did you bother to caclulate these?
How did you calculate them?
(units?)

my answer attempts are
... how come you have lots of different numbers?
What was your reasoning?
(units?)

Note: the numbers are meaningless without units.

Thanks

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
0.200 what? (units?)
What "blade"?
the units is in seconds
I believe the blade is a typo
The reason I have posted here is because this question does not make much sense I have tried all of the methods that I have been able to find around the internet and am down to my last attempt of the question. the book has no useful examples either.
Simon Bridge said:
That does not mean there are no equations that are relevant though.
I have been looking for an equation that will work I can't find one.
Simon Bridge said:
OK - but why did you bother to caclulate these?
(units?)

These are answers from previous parts to the question and I believed they may be useful
... how come you have lots of different numbers?
Simon Bridge said:
What was your reasoning?
(units?)
these are all in meter per second
Simon Bridge said:
Note: the numbers are meaningless without units.

Vlipfire said:
In rev/s yes, but you will find rad/sec more useful. All the kinematic equations assume radians.
I don't get that answer. Please post your working. [edit] you're right - didn't notice the .76 is a diameter.
How did you calculate those?
my answer attempts are
The numerical values you have tried are not of interest. What would be useful is to post the logic that led to them.

Last edited:
I believe the blade is a typo
Then what is it you are supposed to be calculating the total acceleration of?

The reason I have posted here is because this question does not make much sense I have tried all of the methods that I have been able to find around the internet and am down to my last attempt of the question.
... I figured as much: the point of asking these questions is to help you understand the question better so you can figure out were you keep going wrong and do it right.

Please show us what you have tried before.

These are answers from previous parts to the question and I believed they may be useful...
Well presumably ... but what was it about them that made you think they may be useful?
For instance: did you have some sort of strategy in mind or were you just posting the results of random calculations?

Note: If you do not answer questions we cannot help you.

me said:
How did you calculate them? [your numbers]
What was your reasoning?

Simon Bridge said:
Then what is it you are supposed to be calculating the total acceleration of?

... I figured as much: the point of asking these questions is to help you understand the question better so you can figure out were you keep going wrong and do it right.

Please show us what you have tried before.

Well presumably ... but what was it about them that made you think they may be useful?
For instance: did you have some sort of strategy in mind or were you just posting the results of random calculations?

Note: If you do not answer questions we cannot help you.

I was using the concept of the two velocities being vectors and that the resultant vector was sqrt(a^2+b^2) I was able to get tangential acceleration, and angular acceleration from the information of the first couple questions and the problem statement. I have seen many other people trying to answer variations of this question and so far no one has actually gotten the right answer. they are all close but none quite right. I no longer remember some of the ways I have tried because I have been doing this over several days. I appreciate the help.

Vlipfire said:

Homework Statement

An electric turntable 0.760m in diameter is rotating about a fixed axis with an initial angular velocity of 0.250rev/s . The angular acceleration is 0.900rev/s2 .

Homework Equations

none given

That is wrong. The angular velocity ω is 2pi times f(rev/s) and the angular acceleration is β=dω/dt. Multiply your value by 2pi.

Vlipfire said:

That is correct.
Vlipfire said:

The method is correct.

How do you get the tangential linear acceleration from the angular acceleration and radius?
How do you get the radial acceleration from the linear speed and radius?

ehild

ehild said:
That is wrong. The angular velocity ω is 2pi times f(rev/s) and the angular acceleration is β=dω/dt. Multiply your value by 2pi.

That is correct.

The method is correct.

How do you get the tangential linear acceleration from the angular acceleration and radius?
How do you get the radial acceleration from the linear speed and radius?

ehild

Maybe that was my problem. I don't want to enter it because I only have one attempt left.
To find Tangential linear acceleration I used a=rω and for the radial acceleration I believe it was given.

Vlipfire said:
Maybe that was my problem. I don't want to enter it because I only have one attempt left.
To find Tangential linear acceleration I used a=rω
'ω' is generally used for angular speed. I assume here you are using it for angular acceleration.
and for the radial acceleration I believe it was given.
No, it needs to be deduced from another value you calculated. For motion in a circle, how do you find the radial acceleration?

Vlipfire said:
I was using the concept of the two velocities being vectors and that the resultant vector was sqrt(a^2+b^2)
That is the correct concept.

I was able to get tangential acceleration, and angular acceleration from the information of the first couple questions and the problem statement.
In order to help properly - we really need to see your working, not just a description of the concepts you used. If you use the right concepts but the wrong method you will still get t wrong and we cannot tell you how.

I no longer remember some of the ways I have tried because I have been doing this over several days. I appreciate the help.
But you are doing a physics course? You know some physics? So you can apply that knowledge to show us one way you may go about it.
If we cannot see how you are thinking we cannot help - you have to do your own homework.
Is there some reason you don't want to do this?

Vlipfire said:
[off ehild] Maybe that was my problem.
It is almost cerainly something like that - which is why you have to show us your working.

I don't want to enter it because I only have one attempt left.
To find Tangential linear acceleration I used a=rω and for the radial acceleration I believe it was given.
If you do a quick dimensional analysis, you'll see that cannot be the correct equation for tangential linear acceleration. It is ##v_t=r\omega## and ##a_t=r\alpha##.

See how showing us what you tried leads to an answer you can use?
What formula did you use for centripetal acceleration.

Related to Magnitude of the resultant acceleration

What is the magnitude of the resultant acceleration?

The magnitude of the resultant acceleration is the total amount of acceleration experienced by an object in a given direction. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of all individual acceleration components acting on the object.

How is the magnitude of the resultant acceleration calculated?

The magnitude of the resultant acceleration is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of all individual acceleration components. It can also be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual acceleration components.

What factors affect the magnitude of the resultant acceleration?

The magnitude of the resultant acceleration is affected by the magnitude and direction of all individual acceleration components acting on an object. It is also affected by the mass of the object, as well as any external forces acting on the object.

How does the magnitude of the resultant acceleration impact an object's motion?

The magnitude of the resultant acceleration determines the rate at which an object's velocity changes, which in turn affects its motion. A larger magnitude of resultant acceleration will result in a larger change in velocity, leading to a faster or more dramatic change in motion.

How can the magnitude of the resultant acceleration be used in practical applications?

The magnitude of the resultant acceleration is used in many practical applications, such as designing structures or vehicles that can withstand certain amounts of acceleration, predicting the trajectory of objects in motion, and understanding the forces involved in sports and other physical activities.