Magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline?

In summary, when a 2 kg mass is tied to the middle of a horizontal clothesline, which is 14 meters long and tied between 2 poles, it sags 3 meters. To find the magnitude of tension on the ends of the clothesline, we must account for the horizontal and vertical components of force. The vertical component of each end is equal to half of the weight of the hanging mass. The net tension at one end is the vector sum of the horizontal and vertical tensions. Therefore, the tension on each end of the clothesline is equal to 1 kg * 9.8 m/s^2.
UrbanXrisis
A horizontal clothesline is tied between 2 poles, 14 meters apart. When a mass of 2 kilograms is tied to the middle of the clothesline, it sags a distance of 3 meters.

What is the magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline?

Isnt the tension just 2g Newtons? or for just one end of the clothesline g Newtons? The website where i enter these problems is not validating these answers. I don't know why. I also did the x componets, the y componets, and the negative of all of that, the answers are never valid. I have no clue why.

Physics news on Phys.org
You must also account for the horizontal componet of force. Draw some triangles.

the horizontal componet and the vertical componet adds up to the weight, which is 2(9.81)N. isn't that the tension?

No, the vertical component of each of the two ends of the clothesline is equal to .5*1*9.8 N. Consider that the direction of the tension is not directly up, but up and sideways because it must be in the same direction as the line. The net tension at one end will therefore be the vector sum of the horizontal and vertical tensions.

shouldnt the vertical componet of each pole be: 1*9.8*sin[tan^(-1)(3/7)]?

how did you get .5*1*9.8?

The vertical components of each of the two must add up to the weight of the hanging mass, which is downward.

ok, i got it, thanks

FAQ: Magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline?

1. What is the magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline?

The magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline is the amount of force exerted on the clothesline at the two endpoints. This force is typically measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

2. How is the magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline calculated?

The magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline can be calculated using the formula T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the clothesline, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s2).

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline?

The magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline is affected by the weight of the clothes on the line, the length and height of the clothesline, and the angle at which the clothesline is hanging.

4. Why is it important to consider the magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline?

Understanding the magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline is important for ensuring that the clothesline is strong enough to support the weight of the clothes and will not break or sag under the tension. It is also important for safety reasons to prevent injury from a snapped or overloaded clothesline.

5. How can the magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline be adjusted?

The magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline can be adjusted by either adding or removing weight from the clothesline, adjusting the height or length of the clothesline, or changing the angle at which the clothesline is hanging. It is important to make these adjustments carefully to ensure the clothesline can handle the new tension without breaking.

Back