Mahnoor Jafer's question at Yahoo Answers regarding an indefinite integral

In summary, we are given to evaluate the integral of x/[(x)^2-4x+8] dx and we use substitution to rewrite the integral into simpler forms. Finally, we find that the integral is equal to 1/2 ln|x^2-4x+8| + tan^-1((x-2)/2) + C.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Integration of x/[(x)^2-4x+8] dx?

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Mahnoor Jafer,

We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int\frac{x}{x^2-4x+8}\,dx\)

Observing that:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(x^2-4x+8 \right)=2x-4\) we will then rewrite the integral as follows:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{2x-4+4}{x^2-4x+8}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{2x-4}{x^2-4x+8}\,dx+2\int\frac{1}{(x-2)^2+2^2}\,dx\)

For the first integral on the right:

Use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=x^2-4x+8\,\therefore\,du=(2x-4)\,du\)

For the second integral on the right:

Use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle x-2=2\tan(\theta)\,\therefore\,dx=2\sec^2(\theta)\,d\theta\)

And we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{1}{u}\,du+\int\frac{\sec^2(\theta)}{\tan^2(\theta)+1}\,d\theta\)

Applying the Pythagorean identity \(\displaystyle \tan^2(x)+1=\sec^2(x)\) on the second integral, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{1}{u}\,du+\int\,d\theta\)

Now, using the rules of integration, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\ln|u|+\theta+C\)

Back-substituting for $u$ and $\theta$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\ln\left|x^2-4x+8 \right|+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x-2}{2} \right)+C\)

Hence, we have found:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{x}{x^2-4x+8}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\ln\left|x^2-4x+8 \right|+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x-2}{2} \right)+C\)

Related to Mahnoor Jafer's question at Yahoo Answers regarding an indefinite integral

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the general solution to a given function. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is the inverse operation of differentiation.

2. How do you solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you need to use the power rule, which states that the integral of xn is equal to xn+1 / (n+1). You also need to apply any necessary constants or coefficient values.

3. What is the difference between an indefinite integral and a definite integral?

An indefinite integral is a general solution that represents a family of curves, while a definite integral is a specific value that represents the area under a curve between two points. A definite integral has upper and lower limits, while an indefinite integral does not.

4. How do you know which method to use for solving an indefinite integral?

There are several methods for solving indefinite integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. The best method to use will depend on the complexity of the function and the techniques you are comfortable with.

5. Can you use a calculator to solve an indefinite integral?

Yes, there are many online calculators and computer programs that can solve indefinite integrals. However, it is still important to understand the concepts and methods behind the calculation to ensure accuracy and to be able to apply it in various situations.