Maine: Incredible Opportunity - 22 Acres, Detached 2-Car Garage + More

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary: change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
turbo
Gold Member
If you can stand the weather, there is a wonderful opportunity next door. A neat modern house with a heated detached 2-car garage-workshop and some outbuildings set on 22 acres of heavily-wooded land. The garden spot is wonderful, and a whole lot more level than mine. The property is listed at nearly $140K, but the owners are stressed to the max and NEED to move so they will accept a lot less. If you are a shrewd negotiator, you could end up with a New Holland tractor-loader rolled into the deal. The old guy's health has declined precipitously, and his wife wants to return to the relative safety of MA, where their sons live.

Interested? Shoot me a PM and I'll take some pix.

My wife and I seriously considered buying them out, until they hooked up with a realtor that planted big numbers in their heads in a saturated housing market. (Ack!) We would have had to buy an intervening piece of property in order to efficiently bring out the timber on the back side of the property (I own the only bridge across the stream dividing our plots) and my wife would have had to take over most of the tasks associated with acting as landlords of the property until we got the house and a reasonably-sized lot sold off. With those complications, we passed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your town HS need a Physics Teacher?

Chi Meson said:
Does your town HS need a Physics Teacher?
We don't even have a HS or even a Junior HS. Kids have to go to other towns. The property is in Solon, Me 04979, and you may be able to search a bit and find some openings.

You'd be within easy striking distance of Bingham, North Anson, Madison, or Skowhegan. the roads are plowed and clear early every day in the winter, so that the pulp trucks and school buses can run before dawn.

Bordering neighbors (3 of us) have roads and trails running through our properties and we encourage people (including kids) to take full advantage of them. I have always told kids that they have free run of my property, if they will just let me know if there is something they have seen that is "not right". We get along well here.

Could you arrange for a husband to be waiting for me when I arrive?

Math Is Hard said:
Do you have some specific requirements? I'm no miracle worker. I could arrange eager mates, but perhaps not appropriate ones.

Math Is Hard said:
shoves MIH aside

Age before beauty!

I caught a Moose! Just ask him! And I had witnesses.

I don't believe Evo's moose story.

Turbo, I just need a husband who can:

"change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly."

That's not too much to ask, I think.

Math Is Hard said:
I don't believe Evo's moose story.

"change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly."

Y'know, I can do all those things. Except for butcher the hog, I can't do that. Prety much a loner. I act alone all the time. My sonnets are pretty good, and I can cook several things that some have called "tasty-ish." I can't fight efficiently, per se, blood tends to get everywhere, kinda long clean up after... and I don't know about dying gallantly, I thought I'd give it a try one day, but... and I don't do manure often, but if no one else is going to, I guess... and I cooperate all the time! And I've programmed, yes I have, and... not a whole computer... heh heh, just a, you know, a program. on one. I just built a wall, too, just last summer. A pretty good ol' fashioned New England stone wall, five feet high, yup, still standing (just peeked at it). And I've changed diapers too, three kids we've had already, but my wife says that's eno...s#!t, I'm already married! Sorry.

If you're looking for a husband, come to NJ. I'm a husband, a good one. They will cross the deepest ocean for you, cross the widest desert, climb the highest mountain. But will they get up from the easy chair to bring you a cup of coffee?

Chi Meson said:
Y'know, I can do all those things. Except for butcher the hog, I can't do that. Prety much a loner. I act alone all the time. My sonnets are pretty good, and I can cook several things that some have called "tasty-ish." I can't fight efficiently, per se, blood tends to get everywhere, kinda long clean up after... and I don't know about dying gallantly, I thought I'd give it a try one day, but... and I don't do manure often, but if no one else is going to, I guess... and I cooperate all the time! And I've programmed, yes I have, and... not a whole computer... heh heh, just a, you know, a program. on one. I just built a wall, too, just last summer. A pretty good ol' fashioned New England stone wall, five feet high, yup, still standing (just peeked at it). And I've changed diapers too, three kids we've had already, but my wife says that's eno...s#!t, I'm already married! Sorry.
:frown:

That's our lot in life MIH. The good men are either taken or dead.

Evo said:

I must be dead, because I ain't taken.

Evo said:

There might've been some left alive if they didn't have to die gallantly :frown:

If I moved to Maine, I would be single real fast. :-p
Good luck on your search turbo. Hope you find some good neighbors!

Borg said:
If I moved to Maine, I would be single real fast. :-p
Good luck on your search turbo. Hope you find some good neighbors!
Thanks.

I'd like to find someone who will garden organically, if possible. The neighbor on the far side of the property already does, and we're not too keen on folks that rely on Sevin, Roundup, etc, when there are natural solutions available. We all have wells out here, and it's infuriating to have people carelessly spraying chemicals around so that the run-off can contaminate our groundwater and the stream down back.

For anybody that loves birds and wildlife, this area is great. We're not over-run with deer like suburban areas that restrict hunting, which is great for the viability of the gardens. Luckily, the fisher population is making a bit of a rebound, so they can help keep the rabbits and groundhogs under control when their favorite food (porcupine) is running low. I have broad-winged hawks nesting on my property, and they make a pretty good dent in the mourning dove population before their chicks are fledged and need LOTS of food to grow.

Math Is Hard said:

I'm glad my wife left off the last requirement on the list.

I have never set a bone, but I'll make up for it by letting you know that a friend and I spent all our free time one summer building himself and his new bride a house. Out of field-stone and mortar. Not a skill that's much in demand these days, but we were young, strong, and bull-headed, and that was enough.

I'd like to go camping in Acadia National Park one day.

Math Is Hard said:
I just need a husband who can:

I think you would have better luck if you didn't start with the diapers and end with the dying. I'm just sayin'.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think you would have better luck if you didn't start with the diapers and end with the dying. I'm just sayin'.
It comes with the territory. Half of all marriages in America end in divorce. And the other half end in death.

$140k for all that?

I'm living in the wrong country.

140K is beautifully low! If I had a reason to move to Maine, I would do that in a heartbeat. Heck we just bought our house for 130K inside a city.

Vanadium 50 said:

OK, maybe. Robert Heinlein came up with the list. I'm just following his lead.

brewnog said:
$140k for all that?

I'm living in the wrong country.
If you could walk the property, and see what resources were available for that price, you'd be shocked at how low the total price is.

turbo-1 said:
If you could walk the property, and see what resources were available for that price, you'd be shocked at how low the total price is.

What type of resources are you talking? Fertile soil, timber, platinum, crude oil, perpetual motion?

mynameinc said:
What type of resources are you talking? Fertile soil, timber, platinum, crude oil, perpetual motion?
Mature timber. Pine, hemlock, etc that is ready for the sawmill. This stuff grows back, but the trees are peaking on this piece of property IMO.

turbo-1 said:
Mature timber. Pine, hemlock, etc that is ready for the sawmill. This stuff grows back, but the trees are peaking on this piece of property IMO.

Oh. I was really hoping for perpetual motion. :)

I suppose it's too far from any major cities to buy some surrounding land and develop the area as a suburb, isn't it?

mynameinc said:
Oh. I was really hoping for perpetual motion. :)

I suppose it's too far from any major cities to buy some surrounding land and develop the area as a suburb, isn't it?
We really don't want sub-developments here. Buy the property, take advantage of the resources, get your profit, and settle in.

turbo-1 said:
We really don't want sub-developments here. Buy the property, take advantage of the resources, get your profit, and settle in.

So, the resources are worth more than the land?

Pictures turbo, pictures.

Math Is Hard said:

Specialization is for insects :devil:

turbo-1 said:

I bloody paid £130k for a little house with a little garage and a little garden in the suburbs! Hmph I need to emigrate.

DanP said:
Specialization is for insects :devil:

Yes, indeedy! :approve:

turbo-1 said:
I was looking for a new place, but the prices are €430k ($530k) for a 3-room apt in the city. I'm not going to pay that, so I'll stay put where I am. Your description sounds a lot better, but I don't think moving to the country side in Main is an option for me :smile: I hope your neighbor finds a buyer soon!

Last edited:
Here is the realtors' preview of the property. If you offer them a fast closing, there could be a compact New Holland diesel tractor with loader folded into the deal. They really want to move ASAP.

http://whittemoresrealestate.com/inventory-popup.asp?item=24149&pic=87052

Last edited by a moderator:
mynameinc said:
So, the resources are worth more than the land?
The timber makes the property worth far more than most acreage, because many of the trees are very large. Large stuff can go to sawmills, smaller stuff can go to pulp mills, and branches, etc can be chipped and blown into chip trailers to be sold for boiler fuel at said pulp mills.

Many properties around here are wooded, but have been extensively logged off a couple of decades ago, so there are few mature trees to sell off for lumber. For most folks, it's not economical to harvest their trees only to ship them off to pulp mills. Those so-inclined can hire the services of a licensed forester, and selectively cut off the woodland to encourage the growth of the more valuable timber. That qualifies you for a "tree-growth" tax exemption from the state. If you have a large piece of property, that can be a valuable exemption.

brewnog said:
I bloody paid £130k for a little house with a little garage and a little garden in the suburbs! Hmph I need to emigrate.

C'mon over! We've got lots of space here.

Back