Major h.w help needed tri functions derivatives =\

In summary, There was a discussion about a problem with two questions and the solution to the first question involving the chain rule and being careful with minus signs. The second question was also checked and it matched the solution provided.
math_student03
Hey guys having major trouble with these 2 questions, i have a screen shot of the questions and my work , much easier to understand then me typing it in here. thanks soo much for helping !

http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img050lc1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea, but you just need to be watch out for a few small things.

First of all:
Remember the Chain Rule:
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}(sin(2x)) = 2cos(2x)
[/tex]

Secondly:
Be careful with your minus signs, especially with going from step 2 to step 3.

Finally:
Once you get all that out of the way, go through your trig identities and see if you can't simplify it any (http://www.sosmath.com/trig/Trig5/trig5/trig5.html if you need a good list of them).

- Jason

You have an error in the derivitave of sin(2x) and cos(2x). Use the chain rule, you are missing a factor of 2. Continue.

ok so basically for my second line i was only missing a 2 for dsin(2x)/dx and dcos(2x)/dx then i can go ahead and simplift using tri propertys? did i mix something up cause i don't see any that are obvious

and secondly, did anyone check out the second question i had on that page, did i do the first and second derivative right?

The second one matches what I got.
CC

FAQ: Major h.w help needed tri functions derivatives =\

What are the basic concepts of trigonometric functions and derivatives?

The basic concepts of trigonometric functions involve the relationships between the sides and angles of a right triangle. These functions include sine, cosine, and tangent, and are used to solve for unknown sides and angles. Derivatives, on the other hand, are a mathematical tool used to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point. They are calculated using limits and can be used to find the slope of a curve.

How are trigonometric functions and derivatives used in real life?

Trigonometric functions and derivatives are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to model and analyze periodic phenomena, such as the tides, sound waves, and the motion of planets. Derivatives are also used in optimization problems, such as finding the minimum or maximum value of a function.

What is the process for finding derivatives of trigonometric functions?

The process for finding derivatives of trigonometric functions involves using the chain rule and trigonometric identities. First, you must rewrite the function using the identities, then apply the chain rule to find the derivative. For example, the derivative of sin(x) would be cos(x) and the derivative of cos(x) would be -sin(x).

What is the relationship between trigonometric functions and circular functions?

Trigonometric functions and circular functions are closely related, as they both involve the ratios of sides in a right triangle. The sine and cosine functions can also be represented as the y and x coordinates, respectively, on a unit circle. This allows for easy conversion between the two types of functions.

How can I use trigonometric functions and derivatives to solve problems?

Trigonometric functions and derivatives can be used to solve a variety of problems, such as finding the distance between two objects, determining the height of an object, or calculating the speed of an object. They can also be used to analyze and model real-life situations, such as the motion of a pendulum or the growth of a population.

Back