Majors for Ethnology Anthropology: Junior Year HS Prep

• Programs
  • Thread starter Partisan
  • Start date
In summary: Ethnology Anthropology: Ethnology Anthropology is the study of human culture in a historic and comparative perspective.
Partisan
I'm in my Junior year of High school. And No one can seem to give me a straight answer on this but I'm interested in Ethnology Anthropology which is the study of human culture in a historic and comparative perspective. However what majors would I need to separate myself from the people I'm competing with. I also need fall back majors just in case things don't work out. So any information, suggestions for classes I should take Senior year before college, any programs I can join or a reliable website you can give will help me greatly.

Physics news on Phys.org
High School:
High school courses can't in any way prepare you for college courses. You will do yourself a big favor to become disciplined, and figure out what your study method is (I can give you pointers on that). Also, take up a minor/double major in an unrelated field. That will make you... "different". :smile: And no one should give you a straight answer on what YOU should major in. that's silly just like those stupid test which tells people what career they should pursue. what a joke!. :smile:

Advice on "fall back plan(s)":
Here's my story, hopefully you can see the "big picture". I came to college with the intention of becoming a doctor. Now, broadly, my mind is made up that even if "becoming a doctor" takes an unlikely turn, I still want a career in medicine/hospital field so my ideas of "back up plans" were to look into other careers in medicine. So my plan is basically put myself in a position where I have options later on. Meaning, if this doesn't work out I could always go into this, or that or that. If all else fails, I can use my degree in my major to enter medical researching etc.

Simple and short:
Make up your mind on a BROAD field that you are interested in and put yourself in a position where you will have options later on. Take up a minor if possible you could always declare that minor as a major.

Edin_Dzeko said:
High School:
High school courses can't in any way prepare you for college courses. You will do yourself a big favor to become disciplined, and figure out what your study method is (I can give you pointers on that). Also, take up a minor/double major in an unrelated field. That will make you... "different". :smile: And no one should give you a straight answer on what YOU should major in. that's silly just like those stupid test which tells people what career they should pursue. what a joke!. :smile:

Advice on "fall back plan(s)":
Here's my story, hopefully you can see the "big picture". I came to college with the intention of becoming a doctor. Now, broadly, my mind is made up that even if "becoming a doctor" takes an unlikely turn, I still want a career in medicine/hospital field so my ideas of "back up plans" were to look into other careers in medicine. So my plan is basically put myself in a position where I have options later on. Meaning, if this doesn't work out I could always go into this, or that or that. If all else fails, I can use my degree in my major to enter medical researching etc.

Simple and short:
Make up your mind on a BROAD field that you are interested in and put yourself in a position where you will have options later on. Take up a minor if possible you could always declare that minor as a major.

I think you misunderstood I said when I said what I need to major in like here I'm doing this college ed book and it ask for 4 majors that would help get me to my career. And note pointers would be awesome for chemistry. What I think is important isn't or well isn't on the worksheets and what not.

Go back and re-read your own post then compare it to what you just wrote. There's a difference, bro. You didn't say anything in the beginning about a worksheet you just sounded like you wanted advice on what to major. No you're saying you want answers for a worksheet? Anyway, I'm currently in college, did AND doing Chem. Whatever you feel works for you, go for it, bro.

I would recommend that you focus on taking courses in the social sciences, such as sociology, psychology, and cultural anthropology. These courses will provide a strong foundation for understanding human behavior and culture, which are essential for studying ethnology anthropology.

In terms of majors, there are a few options that may be of interest to you. Some universities offer a specific major in ethnology anthropology, while others may offer a major in anthropology with a concentration in ethnology. Other related majors to consider are cultural studies, international studies, or global studies. These majors will also provide a strong background for studying human culture and behavior.

In addition to taking courses in the social sciences, I would also recommend that you take courses in statistics and research methods. These skills will be important for conducting research in ethnology anthropology.

As for fall back majors, I would suggest considering majors in fields that are related to the social sciences, such as sociology, psychology, or cultural studies. These majors will allow you to use the skills and knowledge you have gained in your studies of ethnology anthropology in a different setting.

In terms of programs or organizations to join, I would suggest looking into local cultural and community organizations, as well as international exchange programs. These experiences can provide valuable hands-on experience in studying human culture and may also help you to network with professionals in the field.

A reliable website to explore for more information on majors and programs in ethnology anthropology is the American Anthropological Association's website (www.americananthro.org). They have a section specifically for students that includes resources and information on educational programs and career opportunities in anthropology.

Overall, my advice would be to continue exploring your interests in ethnology anthropology and to take courses and participate in experiences that will help you develop a strong foundation in this field. Good luck with your studies!

FAQ: Majors for Ethnology Anthropology: Junior Year HS Prep

What is Ethnology Anthropology?

Ethnology Anthropology is a social science that studies human societies and cultures, and their development and evolution over time. It includes the examination of cultural practices, beliefs, and customs of different societies around the world.

What are some common majors for Ethnology Anthropology?

Some common majors for Ethnology Anthropology include Anthropology, Cultural Studies, Sociology, and Archaeology. Other related majors may also include Linguistics, History, and Geography.

What does a typical Junior Year HS Prep for Ethnology Anthropology involve?

A typical Junior Year HS Prep for Ethnology Anthropology may involve taking courses in social sciences, humanities, and foreign languages to gain a strong foundation in understanding different cultures and societies. It may also involve participating in fieldwork, research projects, and internships to gain hands-on experience in the field.

What skills are important for a career in Ethnology Anthropology?

Some important skills for a career in Ethnology Anthropology include critical thinking, cross-cultural communication, research and data analysis, and cultural sensitivity. It is also important to have a strong understanding of different research methods and ethical considerations in studying different cultures.

What are some potential career options with a major in Ethnology Anthropology?

With a major in Ethnology Anthropology, you can pursue various career options such as becoming an anthropologist, archaeologist, cultural resource manager, museum curator, or a cultural consultant. You can also work in fields related to international relations, social work, education, or public policy.

Back