Majors for Students Working Full Time

• Programs
  • Thread starter ChiralWaltz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    students Time
In summary, the conversation discusses time constraints in relation to pursuing a degree while also working and managing child support responsibilities. The individual is considering switching from a highly competitive biomedical engineering program to a less competitive electrical engineering program. They are seeking advice on whether it is possible to complete an EE degree while working 40 hours a week and what other degrees or jobs may be suitable for their skill sets and prior work experiences. They live in a tech and biotech-rich area and have tried researching online but have not found relevant information. Another person in a similar situation shares their experience as a freshman, but acknowledges the challenge of balancing work and school.
ChiralWaltz
Hi PF,

My questions involve:
time constraints
majors that work with those constraints
jobs that go with my skill sets

Background Information:
My son's mother recently moved and requested, through the Attorney General, I start paying child support. I'm a full time student at community college working on a chemistry associates degree (it satisfies prerequisites for a biomedical engineering degree). The more I think of the highly competitive nature of biomedical, the less it feels attainable while spending time with my son. I'm looking at transferring into a less competitive electrical engineering (EE) program instead.

The issue I'm running into is time constraints. Courts usually make child support calculations based on 40 hours per week @ minimum wage if the person doesn't make that much money, then there is daycare payments as well. This takes a significant amount of time out of my week that I would have spent studying or being with my son.

My work history involves being a medical laboratory technician for the Air Force, a hourly chemistry assistance for the community college I go to and a history/chemistry tutor. I enjoy playing with equipment (trouble shooting/maintaining) and working with people.

Question 1) Is it possible to complete an EE degree while working 40 hours a week? This is assuming that I can take classes around my work schedule.

Question 2) If it isn't possible, what kind of other degrees are out there that work with full time workers in a university setting?

Question 3) What kind of jobs are there out there that can utilize my prior work experiences and enjoyments?

I tried googling information and looking around on indeed but I don't really have the keywords to find what I'm looking for. I live in Austin, Tx. We have lots of tech jobs and biotech jobs.

Thanks for reading this and helping me think.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in the same predicament less the child support deal (kid is at home). i work a full time job as a diesel mechanic.
so far it isn't so bad. but i am still a freshman. only have 20 hours so far. i just have to cut back on my sleep to find time. i don't know how it will work with upper levels other than pure discipline. and i try to stay a class ahead with math. but i think it is totally doable. but i don't have the experience to back that up.

Related to Majors for Students Working Full Time

What are the most popular majors for students working full time?

The most popular majors for students working full time vary depending on individual interests and career goals. However, some of the top majors for students working full time include business, education, nursing, psychology, and computer science.

Is it possible to balance a full-time job with a challenging major?

Yes, it is possible to balance a full-time job with a challenging major. It may require strong time-management skills and dedication, but many students successfully juggle both responsibilities.

Are there majors specifically designed for students who are working full time?

While there are no majors specifically designed for students who are working full time, there are some majors that may be more flexible and offer evening or online classes to accommodate working students. It is important to research the curriculum and course schedule of a major to determine if it is feasible for a full-time worker.

What are some tips for managing a full-time job while pursuing a major?

Some tips for managing a full-time job while pursuing a major include creating a schedule and sticking to it, utilizing breaks and downtime at work to study or complete assignments, communicating with professors about your work schedule, and seeking support from friends, family, and coworkers.

What are the potential benefits of pursuing a major while working full time?

Pursuing a major while working full time can have many benefits, such as gaining relevant work experience, developing time-management and multitasking skills, networking with professionals in your field, and potentially increasing job opportunities and salary potential upon graduation.