Make a Homemade Drum: Physics Basics for Beginners

• Thread starter BrainFreeze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person is using a homemade drum to replace a traditional drum. They are using metal to make the drumhead, and they are using a trash can top as the drum. The person explains the physics behind the drum and how tension affects the sound.
BrainFreeze
I'm really bad at physics... *sigh* so for HW I have to make a drum out of homemade things. I think I am going to use plastic to put over the drum part.. Is there any other mateial that would be better? And also i have to explain the physics part of the drum. Using words like tension etc.

Heeeeelp me outt pleaaaaaaaaase!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what level of physics you're in, but I'm going to guess that it's Conceptual. In that case, you probably won't have to get too specific with equations and explanatory information from a mathematical standpoint. Just think, (I know you can do it) what besides plastic or an actual drumhead would make a good drum sound? Originally, drums from ancient civilizations would use animal skin as the drum head, but since that probably isn't an option here, let's look at an easily avalible resource: metal. Have you ever heard the sound that an empty paint can or garbage can makes when hit by a stick or other rod of some kind? Depending on how much stuff is inside of the drum, you will get varying levels of resonation, or sharpness. If you have say, a small pillow inside of your drum, the sound will have more bass tones and will resonate less. Also, if you've ever heard steel drums before (originally from the Carribean/Jamaican region) you'll know that certain metals such as steel, tin, or thick aluminum can be bent using a hammer or other pounding tool so that they play melodies. This might be an option for you. Aside from metal, wood can work well for drums, and if all else fails, buy a drumhead from a music shop. You can really apply tension when using professional drumheads. The more tension or less flexible the drum head is, the higher the higher-pitched it will sound and vice versa. Just in case you need to know specifics about tension, it's worth mentioning that tension is a resistence force that acts against (Newton's third law) the force acting upon it with an equal and opposite strength. If you tighten a drumhead with x Newtons of force, the drum will pull back with -x Newtons of force. By playing the drum, you are able to hear how much tension is acting upon the head because the sound waves that it produces are a direct quality of the tension acting upon it. When a loose drum [low tension] is played, it has more flexibility and therefore sends sound waves of lower frequency out into the air when compared to a tight drum [high tension] that has less give to it (causing the drumhead to vibrate back and forth more times per second), sending out sound waves of a higher frequency. Hope that helps a little.

Last edited:
thanks!

wow thank you so much.. i decided to go with the metal and use trash can top. I had to play it in class and explain about it.. and it worked perfectly. Thanks.

FAQ: Make a Homemade Drum: Physics Basics for Beginners

1. How does a homemade drum produce sound?

A homemade drum produces sound through the vibration of its surface, also known as the drumhead. When the drumhead is struck, it vibrates and creates sound waves that travel through the air and reach our ears, allowing us to hear the sound.

2. What materials can be used to make a homemade drum?

A wide variety of materials can be used to make a homemade drum, including a cardboard box, plastic buckets, empty cans, or even a hollowed-out pumpkin. The key is to have a sturdy and resonant surface, such as a stretched membrane, that can vibrate and produce sound.

3. How can I change the pitch of a homemade drum?

The pitch of a homemade drum can be changed by adjusting the tension of the drumhead. Tightening the drumhead will increase the pitch, while loosening it will lower the pitch. This can be done by adding or removing objects, such as rubber bands or tape, from the drumhead.

4. How do the size and shape of a homemade drum affect its sound?

The size and shape of a homemade drum can greatly impact its sound. A larger drum will produce a deeper and more resonant sound, while a smaller drum will have a higher and sharper sound. The shape of the drum can also affect the quality of the sound, with rounder drums producing a more mellow sound and more angular drums producing a sharper sound.

5. What other physics concepts are involved in making a homemade drum?

Aside from the vibration of the drumhead, other physics concepts involved in making a homemade drum include acoustics, which is the study of sound waves, and resonance, which is the tendency of an object to vibrate at its natural frequency when exposed to external vibrations. Understanding these concepts can help in creating a drum with the desired sound quality and tone.