Make Graphene Suit: Stacking Layers for Flexibility & Strength

• Thread starter AlkamlBan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    graphene
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for graphene layers to be stacked and used for body armor. It is possible to stack multiple layers of graphene, but it would no longer be considered pure graphene. However, by adding a material layer on top, the performance of the body armor would not be affected. The use of other technologies, such as carbon nanotubes, could enhance the strength of the armor. Overall, the idea is ambitious but could potentially be successful.
AlkamlBan
So I have heard about graphene and its properties recentlty and more specifically its ability to resist tearing. With this in mind (and a video from the YouTube channel "Film Theory") I believed it was possible to stack layers of graphene so that they can resist things like bullets. But I recently saw in a video that Graphite is basically made up of Graphene layes but it doesn't have the flexibility and strength of the individual layer. So I was wondering if it was possible for Graphene layers to be somehow stacked so that they both keep their properties and don't join to form Graphite. If yes then it should be able to be weaved into a suit (I think).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The actual structure of graphene only consists of one layer. If it has multiple layers, then it's not graphene anymore.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
The actual structure of graphene only consists of one layer. If it has multiple layers, then it's not graphene anymore.
Yes, but what if you had multiple layers with something in between (the suit only needs the elasticity and strength) would that be viable? (and thin like a latex-suit or something of the sort?)

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Ok so just 1 thing left to tackle: Can you put a layer outside of the suit or will anything happen to it if it is exposed (I ask since placing something else outside with make it take damage when, say a bullet hits it but should the Graphene layer be hit first the rest won't take that much "damage").

AlkamlBan said:
Ok so just 1 thing left to tackle: Can you put a layer outside of the suit or will anything happen to it if it is exposed (I ask since placing something else outside with make it take damage when, say a bullet hits it but should the Graphene layer be hit first the rest won't take that much "damage").
There probably should an exterior layer ahead of the graphene layers, and that wouldn't affect the performance of the vest at all. It's always the things you don't see that counts.

As for what the material layer should be, there are plenty of options.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
There probably should an exterior layer ahead of the graphene layers, and that wouldn't affect the performance of the vest at all. It's always the things you don't see that counts.

As for what the material layer should be, there are plenty of options.
Thank you very much, your knowledge is absoutely fascinating!

AlkamlBan said:
your knowledge is absoutely fascinating!
Poor guy, how you're mislead on that note :wink:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Poor guy, how you're mislead on that note :wink:
I am sorry to bother again just one quick question: Applying all of the above along with custom made tech and carbon nanotubes for the harder parts would I be able to create this (not going to just asking :biggrin: (yea right!)):
latest?cb=20151020013648.png

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Dude! I have no idea :biggrin: That's pretty ambitious ...

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Dude! I have no idea :biggrin: That's pretty ambitious ...
:DD I know but it could be put into great use :biggrin:. Again thanks a lot mate!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky

Related to Make Graphene Suit: Stacking Layers for Flexibility & Strength

1) What is graphene and why is it used for making suits?

Graphene is a thin layer of carbon atoms that form a hexagonal lattice. It is known for its strength, flexibility, and conductivity. These properties make it an ideal material for making suits as it can provide protection while still allowing for movement and breathability.

2) How does stacking layers of graphene improve flexibility and strength in a suit?

By stacking layers of graphene, the material becomes even stronger and more flexible. The layers are able to slide over each other, allowing for more movement and preventing the material from tearing or breaking easily.

3) Is it safe to wear a graphene suit?

Yes, it is safe to wear a graphene suit. Graphene is non-toxic and poses no health risks when worn as a suit. In fact, it is being researched for potential medical applications due to its properties.

4) Can a graphene suit withstand extreme temperatures?

Yes, a graphene suit can withstand extreme temperatures. Graphene has a high melting point and is also highly resistant to heat and fire. This makes it a suitable material for use in protective suits for firefighters and other professionals who work in high-temperature environments.

5) Are there any limitations to using graphene for making suits?

One limitation of using graphene for making suits is the high cost associated with producing and working with the material. Additionally, while it is strong and flexible, it is not completely indestructible and can still be damaged under extreme conditions. However, ongoing research and advancements may help to overcome these limitations in the future.

Back