Make paraffin wax have a higher melting temperature

In summary, the person is looking for a way to increase the melting temperature of paraffin wax without affecting its dripping or opacity for their artwork. They are also interested in increasing the tensile strength of the wax. Suggestions include adding gel paraffin wax, using Vybar as a chemical additive, and mixing in fibers such as glass, horsehair, or cotton thread. There is also mention of experimenting with a fiber-reinforced concrete-like alloy.
SkepticJ
I'm looking for a way to make paraffin wax have a higher melting temperature than it does, but without effecting how it drips. (this is for an artwork, so if it does then it spoils the look) Also without effecting the opacity too much. The melting temperature range I'm looking for is 100-110C. Are there any chemicals I can mix into liquid paraffin to achieve these properties? Ideally what I'm looking for would be chemicals that don't cost very much and won't make the wax toxic, or have such a low toxicity that it doesn't really matter if I happen to breath some of it when I'm making it.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Just a bump

SkepticJ said:
I'm looking for a way to make paraffin wax have a higher melting temperature than it does, but without effecting how it drips. (this is for an artwork, so if it does then it spoils the look) Also without effecting the opacity too much. The melting temperature range I'm looking for is 100-110C. Are there any chemicals I can mix into liquid paraffin to achieve these properties? Ideally what I'm looking for would be chemicals that don't cost very much and won't make the wax toxic, or have such a low toxicity that it doesn't really matter if I happen to breath some of it when I'm making it.

Solid parafin wax?

Id say melt it and then add gel parafin wax to it. Gel parafin wax has a higher melting point than regular parafin.

Vybar is the chemical you are looking for if you wanted to add a chemical to raise the mp

Last edited:
Stevedye56 said:
Solid parafin wax?

Id say melt it and then add gel parafin wax to it. Gel parafin wax has a higher melting point than regular parafin.

Vybar is the chemical you are looking for if you wanted to add a chemical to raise the mp

Hey, thanks. :)

I might be pushing my luck here, but is there also a way to increase the tensile strength of the wax? I'm not asking for a building material or anything, just something that is perhaps an order of magnitude stronger (considering how low wax's tensile strength is, this isn't asking for much), but I'll take any improvement you can give me, higher or lower
The only thing I've come up with so far is to make an alloy that is not unlike fiber reinforced concrete. Concrete has terrible tensile strenth, but good compressive. I haven't tried it out yet, but just on the basis of a little logical inferring from another material, mixing fibers into wax could work. Time to bring out the old blender and some paper and try it out it seems...

Mixing fibres into the wax is an excellent idea, if you can tolerate how it would affect your artwork.

Try glass fibres from fine chopped strand mat (from a car repair kit, wear gloves!), or horsehair, or just loads of strands of cotton thread! Bit of experimenting won't hurt.

SkepticJ said:
Hey, thanks. :)

I might be pushing my luck here, but is there also a way to increase the tensile strength of the wax? I'm not asking for a building material or anything, just something that is perhaps an order of magnitude stronger (considering how low wax's tensile strength is, this isn't asking for much), but I'll take any improvement you can give me, higher or lower
The only thing I've come up with so far is to make an alloy that is not unlike fiber reinforced concrete. Concrete has terrible tensile strenth, but good compressive. I haven't tried it out yet, but just on the basis of a little logical inferring from another material, mixing fibers into wax could work. Time to bring out the old blender and some paper and try it out it seems...

Ill look around for you considering this is pretty interesting

Related to Make paraffin wax have a higher melting temperature

1. How can I increase the melting temperature of paraffin wax?

Paraffin wax is a mixture of hydrocarbons with a low melting point. To increase its melting temperature, you can add additives such as stearic acid or microcrystalline wax. These additives will disrupt the crystalline structure of the paraffin wax, making it harder for the molecules to move and thus increasing the melting temperature.

2. What is the ideal ratio of additives to paraffin wax for a higher melting temperature?

The ideal ratio of additives to paraffin wax varies depending on the type and amount of additives used. It is recommended to start with a small amount of additives and gradually increase it until the desired melting temperature is achieved. It is also important to note that adding too much additives can negatively affect the properties and quality of the wax.

3. Can I use natural ingredients to increase the melting temperature of paraffin wax?

Yes, you can use natural ingredients such as beeswax or carnauba wax to increase the melting temperature of paraffin wax. These natural waxes have a higher melting point and can be added to paraffin wax in small amounts to raise its melting temperature.

4. What other factors can affect the melting temperature of paraffin wax?

Apart from additives, the melting temperature of paraffin wax can also be affected by the type and quality of the wax used, the method of processing, and the presence of impurities. It is important to use high-quality wax and ensure proper processing techniques to achieve a higher melting temperature.

5. Is it possible to make paraffin wax have an extremely high melting temperature?

While it is possible to increase the melting temperature of paraffin wax, it is not possible to make it have an extremely high melting temperature. Paraffin wax is a low melting point wax and adding too many additives can negatively affect its properties. It is important to maintain a balance between a higher melting temperature and the desired properties of the wax.