Making a solenoid from 1.0m of wire. missing information?

In summary, to generate a 1.0 mT magnetic field at the center of a copper wire with current of 1.0 A, you will need 253.1 single turns.
neemer

Homework Statement

You have a 1.0 m long copper wire. You want to make an N turn current loop that generates a 1.0 mT magnetic field at the centre when the current is 1.0 A. You must use the entire wire. What will be the diameter of your coil (in centimetres)?

Homework Equations

B = u0 * n * I

n = N/L

The Attempt at a Solution

I put in the variables and solved for n. I got 795.77. Then I know n = number of turns per unit length (N/L) but it seems that some information is missing from the question. I tried setting the unit length to 1.0m (just a random number) which gives 795.77 turns per meter. Then I know each turn uses Pi * diameter of wire. So 795.77(Pi)d = 1.0m solving for diameter i got 4.00x10^-4m or 0.04cm. But this is the wrong answer. It seems as though i would need to be given the total length of the solenoid in order to determine the required diameter.

Physics news on Phys.org
With the given information I think you must assume the wire is very thin so you can make the "length" of the "solenoid" approach zero. In other words, the coil looks like a single loop but in actuality comprises many turns.

So, what is the expression for the B field at the center of a single-turn round coil of diameter D?

Hey thanks for the answer. so I tried using the equation

B = (u0 * N * I)/D for the magnetic field in the centre of a single coil. I set N as 1 turn and solved for D getting 0.0013m or 0.13cm. This was wrong

Then I tried this. Since the total length of the wire I need to use is 1.0m I solved for the diameter of a single loop and got 0.318m Then i used the equation and solved for N which says I would need 253.1 of these loops to make the required magnetic field. This was also wrong.

So lost on what to do next. Been going at this question for days

Ahhhh finally figured it out. Just had to get N in terms of d.

neemer said:
Ahhhh finally figured it out. Just had to get N in terms of d.

That's it! Congrats.

Related to Making a solenoid from 1.0m of wire. missing information?

1. What type of wire is best for making a solenoid?

The best type of wire for making a solenoid is typically copper, as it is a good conductor of electricity and can easily be formed into a coil.

2. How many turns of wire are needed to create a solenoid?

The number of turns needed for a solenoid depends on the desired strength and size of the electromagnetic field. Typically, 100-500 turns are used for a solenoid made from 1 meter of wire.

3. What is the diameter of the wire needed for a 1 meter long solenoid?

The diameter of the wire needed for a 1 meter long solenoid can vary, but typically a wire with a diameter of 0.2-0.5 mm is used.

4. What is the recommended voltage for a solenoid made from 1 meter of wire?

The recommended voltage for a solenoid made from 1 meter of wire can vary, but typically a voltage between 6-12 volts is suitable.

5. How can I calculate the strength of the electromagnetic field produced by a solenoid made from 1 meter of wire?

The strength of the electromagnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * n * I, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns, and I is the current flowing through the wire. However, this calculation may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the solenoid and surrounding materials.