Making a stronger air flow using 2 fans

In summary: The air temperature might be too warm. If the air from the fan does not cool the object enough, is the air temperature too warm?
chrisalviola
I want to know what setup is best to create a stronger or faster air flow.
I want to place 2 fans side by side you have a second fan on front of another. because I already tried running both fans at the same speed the result is the air flow or air current is not strong somehow there's a conflict in air rotation or something, so I want to know what is the best setup.

what about making the second fan spin slower? would that work?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, if you make the second fan turn slower it will act as a break and slow down the air flow. You might try having both fans turn at the same speed, but angle the blades on the second and much more steeply. Because the air coming into the second fan is already in motion, you can angle the blades so sharply that it would burn out the motor if the fan were trying to move air that started out stationary. I should, however, point out that this will not work within an airtight enclosure. At least fans inside of ducting? If so, then you will get your best results by placing the fans side-by-side. Also, are you trying to get faster airflow, or greater volume? For greater volume, leave the ducting as wide as the two fans in parallel. For faster wind speeds, use narrower ducting, but this will result in a decrease of overall volume, as it will increase resistance.

wow that sounds really complex, I am using this 120mm pc case fan
http://www.acoustiproducts.com/images/products/acoustifan_dustproof/afdp12025b_withaccessories_570x470.jpg

what I need to do is make a stronger air current inside my pc by placing 2 or 3 of this next to each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
LURCH said:
No, if you make the second fan turn slower it will act as a break and slow down the air flow.

Agreed.

LURCH said:
You might try having both fans turn at the same speed, but angle the blades on the second and much more steeply.

Isn't the same as saying the second should be faster?

chrisalviola said:
wow that sounds really complex, I am using this 120mm pc case fan
http://www.acoustiproducts.com/images/products/acoustifan_dustproof/afdp12025b_withaccessories_570x470.jpg

what I need to do is make a stronger air current inside my pc by placing 2 or 3 of this next to each other.
Believe me, I've tried this ;)

You need to actually speed up the fan (not 2 fans) physically, using for instance, a 24V supply (not all fans can take it and life span is reduced drastically).

Adding a second fan will increase the force the air is blown in, but it will NOT speed up anything (in terms of cooling).

Last edited by a moderator:
A fan that is not designed for it will not work efficiently in series. You are much better off arranging the fans in parallel. Your airflow will not have a higher velocity, but it will have a higher volume. For cooling a PC that is probably more important anyway.

Likes russ_watters
120mm is a pretty big case fan. For a while, I had one sitting on the side panel of my computer blowing directly onto the motherboard. AFAIK, you can't mount them anywhere else. And it doesn't matter anyway, because one pushes enough air that you won't get the interior of the case any cooler by adding more.

The general theory on case fans, though, is to have the case slightly positive in pressure so that you don't pull dust in through every little crack.

just a question

just a little question.
If the air from the fan does not cool the object enough. Is the air temperature too warm?
maybe the air needs to be cooled? sorry for this but when i used a cheap old air conditioner and on a cabinet where the outside temp was about 36-40 c. The heat from the power supplies increased the temps. I had 2 6 inch fans blowing into the cabinet but this was not enough for the whole cabinet. But by cooling the air going in reduced the entire cabinet tempuratures and all the electronics started working properly.

FAQ: Making a stronger air flow using 2 fans

1. How can using two fans make a stronger air flow?

Using two fans allows for a greater volume of air to be moved, creating a stronger air flow. When the two fans are placed in a way that their air streams combine, they create a greater force and speed, resulting in a stronger air flow.

2. Is it better to use two smaller fans or one larger fan for a stronger air flow?

It is generally more effective to use two smaller fans instead of one larger fan for a stronger air flow. This is because the two fans can be strategically placed to create a more concentrated and powerful air flow, whereas one larger fan may have a more dispersed air flow.

3. Can you use any two fans to create a stronger air flow?

While any two fans can technically be used to create a stronger air flow, it is important to consider the size and power of the fans. In order to achieve a significant increase in air flow, the fans should be of similar size and power. Mismatched fans may not have a noticeable effect on the air flow.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using two fans?

When using two fans, it is important to ensure that they are placed in a stable and secure manner. If the fans are not properly secured, they may tip over or fall, potentially causing injury. It is also important to keep any loose clothing or objects away from the fans to avoid accidents.

5. Can using two fans save energy and reduce electricity usage?

Using two fans instead of one larger fan can potentially save energy and reduce electricity usage. This is because two smaller fans typically use less energy than one larger fan to achieve a similar level of air flow. However, this also depends on the size and power of the fans being used.

Back