Discover the Best Power Sources for Your Homemade Electromagnet

In summary, the OP should not strip the insulation off the wire, and should use a thicker wire if they want to create a stronger magnetic field.
dorker
1lm6a.jpg

I hear a setup like the one in the pic will drain the battery in minutes, and using an AC source will mean an oscillating field and heating. So what other options do I have for a power source if I want a working homemade electromagnet?

Engineering news on Phys.org
dorker, the letters "dyi" stand for "do it yourself". If you go to Google search and enter the terms "diy electromagnet" you will find lots of sites with many different examples of how to do what you are asking about.

Nice photograph of your setup!
Let us know how your project goes.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Last edited:
dorker said:
1lm6a.jpg

I hear a setup like the one in the pic will drain the battery in minutes, and using an AC source will mean an oscillating field and heating. So what other options do I have for a power source if I want a working homemade electromagnet?
Am I seeing things, or has the insulation been stripped off this wire??

Stripped or not, it looks like the wire arrangement you might use for an electric bar heater.

The OP should consider why motor and transformer coils have hundreds of turns of thin wire instead of a few of thick.

Bandit127 said:
Stripped or not, it looks like the wire arrangement you might use for an electric bar heater.

The OP should consider why motor and transformer coils have hundreds of turns of thin wire instead of a few of thick.
He's not even there yet. If it's stripped the current shorts through the nail and there's no N-S magnetic field around the nail, just the 'pole-less' magnetic field around a current carrying conductor. That will attract ferrous metal, but you can't increase the strength with more turns and the nail becomes moot. If it's stripped, the person doesn't understand the reason for looping the wire in the first place, much less why it's looped around a ferrous metal.

Related to Discover the Best Power Sources for Your Homemade Electromagnet

1. How do you make an electromagnet?

To make an electromagnet, you will need a battery, a wire, and a piece of iron or steel. Start by wrapping the wire around the iron or steel object multiple times to create a coil. Then, connect the ends of the wire to the battery. The electrical current flowing through the wire will create a magnetic field, turning the object into an electromagnet.

2. What materials do I need to make an electromagnet?

You will need a battery, a wire, and a piece of iron or steel. The battery provides the electrical current, the wire acts as a conductor, and the iron or steel object becomes magnetized by the current.

3. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using electricity to create a magnetic field. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. When the wire is wrapped around an iron or steel object, the magnetic field becomes stronger and the object becomes magnetized. The direction of the magnetic field can be changed by reversing the direction of the current.

4. How can I increase the strength of an electromagnet?

To increase the strength of an electromagnet, you can add more turns to the wire coil, use a stronger battery, or use a different type of iron or steel object. Increasing the number of turns in the coil will increase the strength of the magnetic field, while a stronger battery will provide more electrical current to create a stronger field. Different types of iron or steel have varying magnetic properties, so choosing a material with a higher magnetic permeability can also increase the strength of the electromagnet.

5. What are some practical uses for electromagnets?

Electromagnets have a wide range of practical uses, including in motors, generators, speakers, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. They are also used in devices such as doorbells, electric locks, and magnetic levitation trains. Electromagnets are also commonly used in science experiments and demonstrations to show the relationship between electricity and magnetism.