Making an insulator become a conductor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electromagnetism and the production of electricity. It is mentioned that moving a conductor into a magnetic field can free its valence electrons, thus making it a conductor. The question arises of whether an insulator can become a conductor in a strong enough magnetic field. The response is that everything has some level of conductivity and with enough voltage, even an insulator can become a conductor through "dielectric breakdown".
mino206
Good afternoon(or good morning,it depends on where you are :zzz:),this is my first topic in this great forum so don't be very tough with me okay?
My question concerns the means of producing electricity and to be more precise:Electromagnetism.
I read that if you move a conductor(such as copper for example)into a magnetic field,the valence electrons of its atoms will move out of their atoms(will be "freed")because of the energie provided by this magnetic field.
So I was wondering:What if we move an insulator this time(plastic for example)into a huge and very strong magnetic field,strong enough to provide the needed energie for all the valence electrons in order to be freed.Does this mean that the plastic has become a conductor?
Best Rigards,
mino206

Physics news on Phys.org
Insulator and conductor are just two ends of the scale.
Everything is a conductor to some extent - if you grab hold of a powerline you would conduct!

In other words, yes, if you put enough voltage to just about anything, its electrons will move.

This is often called "dielectric breakdown".

Related to Making an insulator become a conductor?

1. How can an insulator be made into a conductor?

There are several ways to make an insulator become a conductor. One method is to add impurities to the insulator, which will create free electrons and allow for the flow of electricity. Another method is to apply a strong electric field to the insulator, which can break the bonds between the atoms and create a conductive path.

2. Can any insulator be made into a conductor?

Not all insulators can be made into conductors. The type of insulator and the material it is made of will determine if it can be converted into a conductor. Some insulators, such as rubber, have a high resistance and cannot be easily converted into conductors.

3. What are some common materials used for converting insulators into conductors?

Some common materials used for converting insulators into conductors include metals like copper, silver, and gold. These materials have a high number of free electrons and can easily conduct electricity. Other materials like graphite and carbon can also be used to create conductive paths in insulators.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with making an insulator into a conductor?

Yes, there can be potential risks associated with converting an insulator into a conductor. One risk is that the process can damage the insulator, making it less effective in its original purpose. Another risk is that the converted conductor may have a lower resistance than desired, which can cause electrical hazards.

5. Is there a limit to how conductive an insulator can become?

Yes, there is a limit to how conductive an insulator can become. The conversion process can only increase the conductivity of an insulator to a certain point. Beyond that point, the insulator will start to behave like a conductor but may still have some insulating properties. Additionally, the converted insulator may not be able to conduct electricity as well as a natural conductor.