Making something 1% larger than something

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
In summary: Thank you for the tips and the answer!In summary, the conversation discusses the Michelson-Morley experiment and solving a mathematical problem to find the value of v/c that would make tACA 1% larger than tABA. The equation is set up using x = v/c and then simplified to 1/y^2 = 1.01/y after cancelling out certain terms. The solution is found to be y = 100/101. It is advised to avoid using tools like Wolfram Alpha and to do the calculations by hand to better understand the material.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In the Michelson-Morley experiment
a) What would v/c have to be to make tACA 1% larger than tABA?

Homework Equations

[tex] t_{ACA} =\frac{2l}{c}\frac{1}{1 - v^2/c^2} [/tex]

[tex] t_{ABA} =\frac{2l}{c}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I set up my equation is as follows.

I let x = v/c

[tex] t_{ACA} - \frac{1}{100}t_{ACA} = t_{ABA} [/tex]

I plug in the equations, omitting 2l/c as it cancels, into wolfram alpha and it finds a value of x = sqrt(199)/100.

I then plug it into the calculations to check and find

[tex] t_{ACA} = 1.01989, t_{ABA} = 1.009899, \frac{1}{100}t_{ACA} = 0.010198 [/tex]

That is rather close to what I am looking for.

Is this the correct way to solve this type of mathematical problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say I have 2 barrels of apples - one labeled TABA and one labeled TACA.
If TACA has 100 apples and TABA has 99 apples, is that the same as if TACA has 101 apples and TABA has 100 apples?

Likes RJLiberator
No, if Taca has 100 apples and Taba has 99 apples then 99.99 would be 1% larger than Taba.

If Taca has 101 apples and Taba has 100 apples then 101 would be 1% larger than 100 and indeed Taca is correct.

I guess I would write it like this:
If TACA = 100 and TABA = 99, then TACA/TABA = 1.0101 = 101.01%
If TACA = 101 and TABA = 100, then TACA/TABA = 1.0100 = 101.00%, making TACA 1% larger than TABA

Likes RJLiberator
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

In the Michelson-Morley experiment
a) What would v/c have to be to make tACA 1% larger than tABA?

Homework Equations

[tex] t_{ACA} =\frac{2l}{c}\frac{1}{1 - v^2/c^2} [/tex]

[tex] t_{ABA} =\frac{2l}{c}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I set up my equation is as follows.

I let x = v/c

[tex] t_{ACA} - \frac{1}{100}t_{ACA} = t_{ABA} [/tex]

I plug in the equations, omitting 2l/c as it cancels, into wolfram alpha and it finds a value of x = sqrt(199)/100.

I then plug it into the calculations to check and find

[tex] t_{ACA} = 1.01989, t_{ABA} = 1.009899, \frac{1}{100}t_{ACA} = 0.010198 [/tex]

That is rather close to what I am looking for.

Is this the correct way to solve this type of mathematical problem?

Yes, but an even easier way would be to take ##\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2} = y##, so your equation becomes ##1/y^2 = 1.01/y## after cancelling the ##2l/c## as you did. Thus , ##y = 100/101##.

You really should AVOID using tools like Wolfram Alpha at this stage of your learning experience; doing much of the work by hand and then using computer assistance at the end (primarily for doing arithmetic) is the very best way to learn the material.

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, that makes sense.

I should have made an easier substitution instead of trying to do the calculation in one big wolfram alpha enhanced step.

FAQ: Making something 1% larger than something

What does it mean to make something 1% larger than something?

Making something 1% larger than something means increasing the size or magnitude of an object or value by 1/100th of its original size.

How do you calculate 1% larger than something?

To calculate 1% larger than something, you can multiply the original value by 1.01. For example, if the original value is 100, 1% larger would be calculated as 100 x 1.01 = 101.

Why is it important to specify 1% when making something larger?

Specifying a specific percentage when increasing the size of something allows for consistent and precise measurements. This is especially important in scientific research and engineering where accuracy is crucial.

Can you make something 1% larger by simply adding 1% to the original value?

No, adding 1% to the original value will result in a larger increase than 1%. This is because adding 1% to a value is equivalent to multiplying it by 1.01, which is slightly larger than 1%.

Is making something 1% larger the same as making it 1% longer or wider?

No, making something 1% larger does not necessarily mean making it longer or wider. It simply means increasing the overall size or magnitude of the object or value by 1% of its original size. The specific dimensions may vary depending on the shape and structure of the object.

Back