Making the Right Choice: Deciding on an REU Program | Quick Advice

In summary, the person is applying to a number of research opportunities this summer and has decided to accept the offer from their current program. They are concerned about whether or not they should wait to hear back from other programs, but ultimately decide to accept the offer. They note that all of the research opportunities are essentially the same, so it is not a bad decision to take the offer.
Delong
Hi I applied to a lot of REU's for this summer and actually got accepted into one which I am so glad for. The problem is that I don't know if I should accept this one right away or wait to hear from some more and make a decision then. They are giving me 03/08/13 to make a final decision (which is definitely before the time I will hear back from other programs) and I want to respond as soon as possible. I think I should just accept this one because it's already such a great opportunity why wait for another one but I want to think it all through. What if I actually don't like the research in this one and would prefer another program? Does that even matter? I mean all of them have basically what I want to research anyway. I probably can't afford to be so picky now that I actually got into one.

Is there any reason why I should not just take this offer right now? Your quick advice would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Be appreciative of the certainty that they provided you for your summer plans and just accept. There are only 5 days left anyways. If you didnt want to go, why did you apply? :-) I realize that its a numbers game, but the question still holds. REU's are not that different from one another (are you talking physics?), albeit they are skewed towards each particular school's strength. Based on my personal experience, even a lesser known program can pleasantly surprise you with a well-organized, professional and high-class environment.

thanks. It's an ecology reu (which I know on a physics forums is like "inferior") but I think you're right I will just go ahead and take this. They all should be pretty much equal in quality I hope so it's not a bad decision.

You can email the other programs informing them of your situation. Sometimes programs will give you an advanced decision if you have other offers on the table. Since you have 5 days before you have to respond I would suggest doing this for anything you may be more interested in, just to see. But of course, any reu is pretty great.

I already just said yes. I asked some other places and they said they'll have. A decision soon but I felt like I should just accept what's right in front of me.

Related to Making the Right Choice: Deciding on an REU Program | Quick Advice

1. What is an REU program?

An REU program stands for "Research Experience for Undergraduates" and is a competitive summer research opportunity for undergraduate students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields.

2. How do I decide on the right REU program for me?

There are many factors to consider when choosing an REU program, such as the program's focus, location, duration, and research opportunities. It is important to research and compare multiple programs to find the best fit for your interests and goals.

3. What are the benefits of participating in an REU program?

An REU program allows undergraduate students to gain hands-on research experience, work with experienced mentors, and potentially publish their research. It also provides networking opportunities and can enhance graduate school applications.

4. How do I apply for an REU program?

Each REU program has its own application process, but most require a completed application form, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. It is important to carefully follow the application instructions and meet all deadlines.

5. Are there any tips for making the right choice when deciding on an REU program?

It is crucial to thoroughly research and compare programs before making a decision. Consider talking to current or past participants, reaching out to program directors, and carefully reading program descriptions and requirements. It is also important to consider your personal goals and interests when choosing an REU program.