Making the Transition from Basic to Advanced Math

• Thread starter someperson05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transition
In summary, a freshman in college is struggling to make the transition into advanced mathematics despite excelling in current classes. They are seeking recommendations for resources or strategies to improve their understanding and become more independent in their learning. The advice given is to allow time for the information to connect in their mind and to continue practicing and studying.
someperson05
Making the "Transition"

Hello. I am currently a freshman in college, finishing up my second semester. I am looking at basically majoring in mathematics. (My actual major title will be Applied Mathematics and Computational Science, I am creating a major plan to better suit my needs.) Regardless of that though, I will always be a mathematician at heart.

Let me get to the point. I have been trying my hardest beyond class to study as much mathematics as possible. I've been doing a mini project, taking an extra problem solving seminar class, reading extra books, etc. etc. No matter what I do however, no matter how much I feel like my mathematics skills progress, I can't seem to make the leap into "advanced mathematics." I feel somewhat like Zeno's Paradox, getting ever closer to a higher level of mathematical ability but never actually getting there.

I am acing my multi-variable calculus class, and I will continue to ace all of my classes, I am confident of that. They are easy, just doing the problems seems so simple. I always do well when there is a teacher to explain the concepts. Its when I attempt to learn things on my own, like set theory, proofs, that I can only ever pull out fragments from the text and then feel stuck, left to find another book or ask a teacher. I feel like a true mathematician must eventually be able to deduce things on their own, lest they be left to do little original research.

So my question is, can anyone make any recommendations on how to achieve this transition beyond simply reading more? I will continue to read and try, but if there is anything that someone has found that has helped them to make this "transition", I would love to know. I am willing to devote any hours of effort and work, which is what it probably amounts to anyway. Is there a textbook or just a book in general that helped you to see mathematics in a different light that you think would be useful to me? Or a book that helped open up this elusive world of mathematics, this world of deeper and higher levels of truth? I don't care if its from an applied or pure perspective, I just love mathematics.

Thank you for any help that you can give me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

You are a freshman. You shouldn't expect to become an expert in a year. You seem to be doing fine.

It's not more work, it's more time you need.

Time to allow it to stew in your subconcious. You acquire a vast amount of facts, ideas and techniques but it takes time for your mind to draw the connections. It will suddenly happen. Just keep doing the exercises. and good luck.

Related to Making the Transition from Basic to Advanced Math

1. What is the difference between basic and advanced math?

The main difference between basic and advanced math is the level of complexity and abstraction. Basic math focuses on fundamental operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, while advanced math deals with more advanced concepts and applications such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

2. How can I make the transition from basic to advanced math?

To make the transition from basic to advanced math, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts. This includes mastering fundamental operations, understanding basic algebraic and geometric principles, and developing problem-solving skills. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to supplement your learning.

3. What are some common challenges in transitioning from basic to advanced math?

Some common challenges in transitioning from basic to advanced math include understanding and applying abstract concepts, developing critical thinking skills, and managing the increased workload and complexity of advanced math courses. It is important to stay organized, seek help from instructors or tutors when needed, and practice regularly to overcome these challenges.

4. What are the benefits of learning advanced math?

Learning advanced math has numerous benefits, including developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, improving abstract reasoning abilities, and preparing for advanced academic and career opportunities in fields such as science, engineering, and economics. It also helps to build a strong foundation for future learning in more advanced math subjects.

5. Are there any tips for mastering advanced math concepts?

Some tips for mastering advanced math concepts include practicing regularly, seeking help from instructors or peers when needed, breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, and using visual aids or real-life examples to better understand abstract concepts. It is also important to stay persistent and not get discouraged by challenges or setbacks.