Malala Yousafzai: A Brave Voice for Equality

• News
  • Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
In summary: Malala Yousafzai, was shot Oct. 9 by Taliban gunmen as she rode her school bus.The father of a 15-year-old Pakistani girl shot in the head by the Taliban described his daughter's survival and ongoing recovery as miraculous Friday, and said her shooting was a turning point for Pakistan."She is recovering at an encouraging speed and we are very happy," he told reporters in Birmingham.He expressed gratitude for prayers and well-wishes that...have poured in from around the world since his daughter, Malala Yousafzai, was shot Oct. 9 by Taliban gunmen as she rode her school bus.
rootX
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19882799

This girl at the age of 11 was posting anti-Taliban opinions for BBC Urdu service under a pen name and then her name was exposed later when Taliban was driven out of SWAT.

I have been really amazed to see how an 11 years old can take so risky but right actions what even the strong political leaders in Pakistan can't do. So, I was bit displeased how her parents are threw her in danger. But at same time, I think we do need people like her to bring positive changes in the world, and this is the reason I wanted to dedicate a thread to her.

Hopefully, she lives on and continues the endeavors of bringing equality for women in those regions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I read this story today and it really bothered me. I imagine many Pakistanis are horrified by it.

lisab said:
I read this story today and it really bothered me. I imagine many Pakistanis are horrified by it.

I don't know. That area of the world never ceases to amaze me.

I still cannot comprehend how an 11 years old can understand and challenge the ill-social-norms.

Here's her diary, translated to English:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7834402.stm

It doesn't sound like the diary of an 11 years old. Maybe children there grow much ahead of their ages
Today at school I told my friends about my trip to Bunair. They said that they were sick and tired of hearing the Bunair story. We discussed the rumours about the death of Maulana Shah Dauran, who used to give speeches on FM radio. He was the one who announced the ban on girls attending school.

Some girls said that he was dead but others disagreed. The rumours of his death are circulating because he did not deliver a speech the night before on FM radio. One girl said that he had gone on leave.

Since there was no tuition on Friday, I played the whole afternoon. I switched on the TV in the evening and heard about the blasts in Lahore. I said to myself 'why do these blasts keep happening in Pakistan?'

It's unusual, but not unheard of. Gifted children are often verbal well beyond their years.

Galteeth said:
I'm not sure what you mean.
Do you think she would have managed to publish her diaries to BBC herself? Could it be her idea to tell the world what is going on? Her parents should have thought of her safety, atleast should not have exposed her real name.

Malala Yousafzai was airlifted by a government helicopter to Peshawar where doctors removed the bullet from her head. Doctors say she is in "guarded" condition. I gather from this she will survive.

When others have survived assassination attempts in this part of the world folks start to think that God has intervened to save them. This phenomenon gives the victim great credence and increases their influence.

So, in my opinion, some good can come from the barbaric and vicious attack on this fourteen-year-old girl who has spoken out against terrorism and in favor of education for girls. Most Pakistanis are horrified by the sensless attack, from the news reports filtering out. I sincerely hope she recovers completely and continues her activism, with her power to persuade boosted by this incident. Societies in chaos and confusion can learn much from Malala Yousafzai.

Very brave girl. From what I read on the BBC website, her parents did not give her protection as they thought the Taliban would not shoot a young girl. Not only did they do it, they claimed responsibility for it. So you can make what you will of the parental responsibility part of this. I shudder to think how whoever carried out the shootings views young girls.

cobalt124 said:
Not only did [the Taliban] do it, they claimed responsibility for it.

And they've said they'll go after her again.

rootX said:
I still cannot comprehend how an 11 years old can understand and challenge the ill-social-norms.

11 year olds can understand a lot.

lisab said:
It's unusual, but not unheard of. Gifted children are often verbal well beyond their years.

More likely explained by the translator taking liberties. I don't speak Hindi/Urdu, and most likely no one else here does either (unless some of the Academic Guidance folks have stuck around), so we can't know how it sounds in the native language.

Some terrific news, Malala is recovering well:
The father of a 15-year-old Pakistani girl shot in the head by the Taliban described his daughter's survival and ongoing recovery as miraculous Friday, and said her shooting was a turning point for Pakistan.

"She is recovering at an encouraging speed and we are very happy," he told reporters in Birmingham.

He expressed gratitude for prayers and well-wishes that have poured in from all over the world, noting that the attack on his daughter had united left and right-wing forces in Pakistan in condemnation.

"When she fell, the world stood. She will rise again, she will stand again. She can stand now," Ziauddin Yousufzai said.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/26/ziauddin-yousufzai_n_2022454.html?utm_hp_ref=world

More good news:
CNN reported police had rounded up nine people in the Oct. 9 shooting in which 15-year-old Malala, now recovering in a hospital in Britain, was critically wounded, but the main suspect identified as Atta Ullah Khan, a master's degree student of chemistry believed to be 23 years old, was being sought in the scenic Swat Valley in northwest Pakistan, where Malala and two other girls were attacked as they rode their school bus. The other two girls were not seriously injured.

Those arrested in the shooting include six men from Swat, CNN reported. Police were also holding the mother, the brother and the fiancée of Khan, the main suspect, but a police official was quoted as saying the three have not been accused of involvement in the shooting.
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...rest-9-in-Malala-shooting/UPI-55131351144473/

If you see this man, either call the cops or use him for a speed bump.
http://media.skynews.com/media/images/generated/2012/10/25/199991/default/v1/glass-hd-background-mstr-st-1-522x293.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Q_Goest said:
or use him for a speed bump.
http://media.skynews.com/media/images/generated/2012/10/25/199991/default/v1/glass-hd-background-mstr-st-1-522x293.jpg

Except, speed up instead of slowing down :D

Last edited:
It's unfortunate how intelligent people, with good education backgrounds, fall into the darkness.

rootX said:
It's unfortunate how intelligent people, with good education backgrounds, fall into the darkness.

I'm not sure what they're reading or how they comprehend. This is sick. :mad:

rootX said:

Intelligence and education don't change who you are inside.

Decimator said:

Aye.

Goebbels: PhD drama
Mohamed Atta: studied architecture in Cairo and Hamburg.
Ayman al-Zawahiri (head of AQ): physician, surgeon from Cairo U.
Ted Kaczynski (unabomber): matriculate Harvard 16, PhD mathematics Michigan.
Pol Pot: studied electronics in Paris

http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/lhb-ofp-jacques.pdf
2ntd2x4.png

Decimator said:

The outside environment where you are brought up determines your character.. If the terrorist had been adopted as a baby and brought up in a typical American family, I am sure he would have grown up as the rest of their countrymen. There's no "inside" to anyone.

Malala Yousafzai leaves UK hospital
http://news.yahoo.com/pakistani-girl-shot-taliban-leaves-uk-hospital-113054527.html

Related to Malala Yousafzai: A Brave Voice for Equality

1. Who is Malala Yousafzai?

Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist for female education and the youngest Nobel Prize laureate. She gained global recognition after surviving an assassination attempt by the Taliban at the age of 15.

2. What is the main message of "Malala Yousafzai: A Brave Voice for Equality"?

The main message of "Malala Yousafzai: A Brave Voice for Equality" is the importance of education for all, especially for girls. Malala believes that education is the key to empowering individuals and creating positive change in the world.

3. How did Malala become an advocate for girls' education?

Malala became an advocate for girls' education at a young age, inspired by her father who ran a school for girls in their hometown of Swat, Pakistan. She began speaking out against the Taliban's ban on girls' education and gained national and international attention for her activism.

4. What impact has Malala had on the world?

Malala's activism and advocacy for girls' education have had a significant impact on the world. She has inspired millions of people to take action and support education for all, especially for girls. Her efforts have led to increased awareness and funding for girls' education, and she continues to be a powerful voice for equality.

5. What challenges has Malala faced in her activism?

Malala has faced many challenges in her activism, including death threats and an assassination attempt by the Taliban. She has also faced criticism and opposition from those who do not support her message. Despite these challenges, Malala continues to be a brave and resilient advocate for equality and education for all.