Mandelbrot Set- definitive point testing

In summary: However, for more general points in the Mandelbrot set, it is unknown whether the Mandelbrot set is computable in models of real computation based on computable analysis, which correspond more closely to the intuitive notion of "plotting the set by a computer."
Savant13
For those of you not familiar with the mandelbrot set, it is the set of all complex numbers c for which the following transform remains finite for an infinite number of iterations:

z --> z^2 + c

z is 0 for the first iteration

My question is this: How can I conclusively determine whether a number is part of the Mandelbrot Set? I am not looking for an approximation, I can do that on my own.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Should I have posted this somewhere else?

maybe no-one knows the answer?

I've never studied the Mandlebrot set, but can say the following

- if c is not in the Mandlebrot set then the sequence z_n will eventually diverge, and you can prove this with certainty just by evaluating the sequence accurately enough until z becomes large.

- for certain values of c the sequence z_n will be eventually be periodic and c will be in the Mandlebrot set, and you could compute these values as solutions of polynomials.

- for more general points in the Mandlebrot set I doubt that there is such an algorithm.

edit: Wikipedia seems to back up what I just said

In the Blum-Shub-Smale model of real computation, the Mandelbrot set is not computable, but its complement is computably enumerable. However, many simple objects (e.g., the graph of exponentiation) are also not computable in the BSS model. At present it is unknown whether the Mandelbrot set is computable in models of real computation based on computable analysis, which correspond more closely to the intuitive notion of "plotting the set by a computer." Hertling has shown that the Mandelbrot set is computable in this model if the hyperbolicity conjecture is true.

Last edited:
gel said:
maybe no-one knows the answer?

I've never studied the Mandlebrot set, but can say the following

- if c is not in the Mandlebrot set then the sequence z_n will eventually diverge, and you can prove this with certainty just by evaluating the sequence accurately enough until z becomes large.

- for certain values of c the sequence z_n will be eventually be periodic and c will be in the Mandlebrot set, and you could compute these values as solutions of polynomials.

- for more general points in the Mandlebrot set I doubt that there is such an algorithm.

edit: Wikipedia seems to back up what I just said

Evalutating until c becomes large doesn't work except as an approximation. c can get very large as long as it converges finitely eventually. You also cannot prove that c does not converge to a finite number or range through such evaluation.

Savant13 said:
c can get very large as long as it converges finitely eventually.
If c is sufficiently large, iterating must diverge to infinity.
If z becomes sufficiently large, iterating must diverge to infinity.

Related to Mandelbrot Set- definitive point testing

1. What is the Mandelbrot Set-definitive point testing?

The Mandelbrot Set-definitive point testing is a mathematical concept that involves the exploration of a complex set of numbers called the Mandelbrot Set. It is a way of determining whether a particular point on a complex plane belongs to the Mandelbrot Set or not.

2. How is the Mandelbrot Set-definitive point testing done?

The Mandelbrot Set-definitive point testing is done by performing a series of iterations on a given point using a specific formula. If the resulting value remains within a specific range after a certain number of iterations, then the point is considered to be part of the Mandelbrot Set.

3. What is the significance of the Mandelbrot Set-definitive point testing?

The Mandelbrot Set-definitive point testing is significant because it allows us to explore the infinite complexity and beauty of the Mandelbrot Set. It also has various applications in different fields such as computer graphics, fractal geometry, and chaos theory.

4. What are some real-world examples of the Mandelbrot Set-definitive point testing?

The Mandelbrot Set-definitive point testing has been used to create stunning computer-generated fractal images and animations. It has also been applied in the study of natural phenomena such as coastlines, clouds, and river networks, which exhibit fractal patterns.

5. Are there any limitations to the Mandelbrot Set-definitive point testing?

While the Mandelbrot Set-definitive point testing is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to points on the complex plane, and it requires a significant amount of computational power to explore the entire Mandelbrot Set.