Manipulating a formula for a relativistic Doppeler shift

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the frequency that an observer on Earth would measure from a spaceship approaching at a speed of 0.6c and an angle of 30 degrees. The conversation delves into the derivation of the Lorentz transformations for a standard configuration and explores the possibility of using the relativistic Doppler effect equation to solve the problem. The conversation also mentions rotating coordinate systems and the changes in Lorentz transformations that may occur.
71GA

Homework Statement

The spaceship is approaching Earth with a speed ##\scriptsize 0.6c## under an angle
of ##\scriptsize 30^\circ##. What frequency does an observer on Earth measure if
spaceship is sending frequency ##\scriptsize 1.00\cdot10^9Hz##.

Homework Equations

Lets say we take the standard configuration when ##\scriptsize x'y'## is moving away from system ##\scriptsize xy## (image 1). By knowing that the phase is constant in all frames ##\scriptsize \phi=\phi'## we can derive the Lorenz transformations for a standard configuration.

Derivation (using the parametrization):
\begin{align}
\phi &= \phi'\\
-\phi &= -\phi'\\
k \Delta r - \omega \Delta t &= k' \Delta r'- \omega'\Delta t'\\
[k_x , k_y , k_z][\Delta x , \Delta y , \Delta z] - \omega \Delta t &= [{k_x}'\! , {k_y}'\! , {k_z}'][\Delta x'\! , \Delta y'\! , \Delta z']\! - \!\omega'\Delta t'\\
k_x \Delta x + k_y \Delta y + k_z \Delta z - \omega \Delta t&= {k_x}'\Delta x' + {k_y}' \Delta y' + {k_z}' \Delta z'\! - \!\omega' \Delta t'\\
{k_x} \gamma \Bigl(\!\Delta x' + u\Delta t' \!\Bigl) + {k_y} \Delta y' + {k_z} \Delta z' - \omega \gamma \left(\Delta t' + \Delta x' \frac{u}{c^2}\right)&= ...\\
{k_x} \gamma \Delta x' + k_x \gamma u\Delta t' + {k_y} \Delta y' + {k_z} \Delta z' - \omega \gamma \Delta t' - \omega \gamma \Delta x' \frac{u}{c^2}&= ...\\
\gamma \Bigl(\!k_x - \omega \frac{u}{c^2}\! \Bigl) \Delta x' + k_y \Delta y' + k_z \Delta z' - \gamma \Bigl(\omega - {k_x} u \Bigl) \Delta t' &= k_x' \Delta x' + k_y' \Delta y' + k_z' \Delta z' - \omega' \Delta t'\\
\end{align}
Lorentz transformations and their inverses (are derived similarly):
\begin{align}
&\boxed{\omega' = \gamma\Bigl(\omega - {k_x} u \Bigl)} & &\boxed{\omega = \gamma\Bigl(\omega' + {k_x}' u \Bigl)}\\
&\boxed{k_x' = \gamma \Bigl(k_x - \omega \frac{u}{c^2} \Bigl)} & &\boxed{k_x = \gamma \Bigl(k_x' + \omega' \frac{u}{c^2} \Bigl)}\\
&\boxed{k_y' = k_y} & &\boxed{k_y = {k_y}'}\\
&\boxed{k_z' = k_z} & &\boxed{k_z = {k_z}'}
\end{align}
We can express Lorentz transformations and their inverse using some trigonometry (##\scriptsize k_x = k \cos{\xi} = \frac{\omega}{c} \cos{\xi}##, ##\scriptsize k_y = k \sin{\xi} = \frac{\omega}{c} \sin{\xi}## and ##\scriptsize k_z = 0##) as:
\begin{align}
&\boxed{\omega' = \gamma \, \omega \! \Bigl(1 - \cos{\xi} \frac{u}{c} \Bigl)}& &\boxed{\omega = \gamma \, \omega' \! \Bigl(1 + \cos{\xi'}\frac{u}{c} \Bigl)}\\
&\boxed{k_x' = \gamma \, \frac{\omega}{c} \! \Bigl(\cos{\xi} - \frac{u}{c} \Bigl)}& &\boxed{k_x = \gamma \, \frac{\omega'}{c} \! \Bigl(\cos{\xi'} + \frac{u}{c} \Bigl)}\\
&\boxed{k_y' = \frac{\omega}{c} \sin{\xi}} & &\boxed{k_y = \frac{\omega'}{c} \sin{\xi'}}\\
&\boxed{k_z' = k_z} & &\boxed{k_z = {k_z}'}
\end{align}

The Attempt at a Solution

If i draw the picture in black color (image 2) it occurred to me that solving this case could be possible by simply using a relativistic Doppeler effect shift equation for 2 bodies which are closing in (in which i would use the ##\scriptsize u_x = u \cdot \cos 30^\circ##).

$$\nu = \nu' \sqrt{\frac{c+u_x}{c-u_x}} \approx 1.78\cdot 10^8Hz$$

Am i allowed to solve this case like this?

I wasnt so sure about the above solution, so i tried to get the similar situation to the one i had in image 1. I noticed that if i rotate coordinate systems (image 2 - systems which are colored in red) i get fairly similar configuration, with the ##\scriptsize \xi## and ##\scriptsize u## a bit different than the ones in image 1. I wonder how do the Lorentz transformation change? Can anyone tell me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Im not sure which images you are talking about...you sure they were uploaded correctly?

spaderdabomb said:
Im not sure which images you are talking about...you sure they were uploaded correctly?

Yes.

Related to Manipulating a formula for a relativistic Doppeler shift

1. What is the formula for the relativistic Doppler shift?

The formula for the relativistic Doppler shift is:
f' = f(√(1-v/c) / √(1+v/c))
Where f' is the observed frequency, f is the emitted frequency, v is the relative velocity between the source and observer, and c is the speed of light.

2. How is this formula different from the classical Doppler shift formula?

The classical Doppler shift formula assumes non-relativistic velocities and is given by:
f' = f((c±v) / (c±vs))
Where vs is the speed of sound. The relativistic formula takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, and is more accurate for high velocities.

3. How can this formula be used to calculate the observed frequency for different velocities?

To use this formula, you need to know the emitted frequency and the relative velocity between the source and observer. You can then plug these values into the formula to calculate the observed frequency. It is important to note that the velocity must be in units of meters per second (m/s) and the frequency in units of Hertz (Hz).

4. Can this formula be applied to any type of wave, or just electromagnetic waves?

This formula can be applied to any type of wave, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and even matter waves. As long as the wave has a measurable frequency and is affected by relative motion, this formula can be used to calculate the observed frequency.

5. Are there any limitations to this formula?

This formula is only applicable to relative velocities that are much smaller than the speed of light. For velocities close to the speed of light, the formula becomes increasingly inaccurate and other equations, such as the Lorentz transformation, must be used. Additionally, this formula assumes that the source and observer are in a vacuum and there is no change in frequency due to factors such as absorption or scattering.