Manipulating data in PDF Files with a program

In summary: Signature Files are files that you create that contain your name, website address, and other relevant information so people can easily find you when they are looking for information on your posts.
schrodingerscat11

Homework Statement

I am currently doing my thesis, and the gravimetric analysis data I receive from a partner laboratory is in the form of tables in PDF Files. I need to plot the data. It would be tedious if I copy and paste every cell manually, so I decided to automate it using a program.

Here's the instructions I want to implement:
1. Open the PDF File.
2. Save it as a TXT file.
3. Open the data in TXT file (since it has delimeters already.)
4. Sort the data needed.
5. Plot the data.

My question is what is the best programming language that I can use for this task?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to use MATLAB since it can open PDF files, it can manipulate data in TXT files, and it can easily plot that data.

However, I do not know how can MATLAB "instruct" Adobe Reader to save the file as TXT file. Is it even possible with MATLAB or other programming language?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a direct answer to your question, but why don't you arrange for the partner lab to send you the data tables in whatever format they were before they were written to a pdf file?

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the reply. I would do that in case I don't figure this out. I am just hoping to push my programming skills a little further. :smile: Anyway, I did not understand this part of your message:

Handy symbols: α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο ° π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω Ω ~ ≈ ≠ ≡ ± ≤ ≥ Δ ∇ Σ ∂ ∫ ∏ → ∞

Put them in your signature file and they will be there for your use when you preview your posts.

I'm sorry; it's my first time to subscribe to forums. What is a signature file?

Thanks for the reply. I would do that in case I don't figure this out. I am just hoping to push my programming skills a little further. :smile: Anyway, I did not understand this part of your message:

Handy symbols: α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο ° π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω Ω ~ ≈ ≠ ≡ ± ≤ ≥ Δ ∇ Σ ∂ ∫ ∏ → ∞

Put them in your signature file and they will be there for your use when you preview your posts.

I'm sorry; it's my first time to subscribe to forums. What is a signature file? :shy:

physicsjn said:

I'm sorry; it's my first time to subscribe to forums. What is a signature file? :shy:

It looks like you have figured it out. :approve:

FAQ: Manipulating data in PDF Files with a program

1. How can I extract data from a PDF file using a program?

There are several programs available that can extract data from PDF files. Some popular options include Adobe Acrobat, PDFelement, and Tabula. These programs allow you to select specific data points or tables from a PDF and export them into a spreadsheet or other format for further manipulation.

2. Can I edit the data in a PDF file using a program?

Yes, there are programs that allow you to edit the data in a PDF file. Adobe Acrobat, for example, has a feature called "Edit PDF" which allows you to make changes to the text and formatting within a PDF. However, keep in mind that PDFs are not designed for extensive editing and may not have the same functionality as a word processing program.

3. Is it possible to convert a PDF file into a different file format using a program?

Yes, many programs offer the ability to convert PDFs into different file formats such as Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, or image files. Some popular options include Adobe Acrobat, PDFelement, and Smallpdf. Keep in mind that the formatting and data may not always transfer perfectly, so it's important to double-check the converted file.

4. Can I use a program to search for specific data within a PDF file?

Yes, you can use programs to search for specific data within a PDF file. Adobe Acrobat has a search function that allows you to search for keywords or phrases within a PDF document. This can be useful when working with large datasets or documents with a lot of text.

5. Are there any programs that can automatically extract data from multiple PDF files?

Yes, there are programs that can automatically extract data from multiple PDF files. These programs use advanced algorithms to scan and analyze the data within PDFs and extract relevant information. Some popular options include PDF Data Extractor, PDFMiner, and Tabula. These programs can save you time and effort when working with a large number of PDF files.