Map of Area Bounded by y=5x & y=-3x in Upper Plane

This is given by $w = 1/(0+i1) = -i$. Therefore, in summary, the area bounded by $y=5x$ and $y=-3x$ in the upper half plane, under $w=1/z$, is contained within the lines $v = -5u$ and $v=3u$ and includes the point $(-1,0)$.
Amer
what is the map of the area bound by y=5x and y=-3x in the upper half plane, under w=1/z we have the lines : $ z(t) = t + 5t i $ , and the line $z(t) = t - 3ti $
Fist line
$\displaystyle w_1 = \dfrac{1}{t+5ti} = \dfrac{1}{26t} - \dfrac{5i}{26t} $
Second
$\displaystyle w_2 = \dfrac{1}{t - 3ti} = \dfrac{1}{10t} + \dfrac{3i}{10t} $

We get the lines in the uv plane

$v = -5u \; , v=3u $
taking a point in the area for example (0,1) under 1/z (0,1) so we will take the bounded area between $v = -5u \; , v=3u $ which has the point (0,1)
is that right ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have correctly found the boundary lines as $v = -5u$ and $v=3u $. But if the original area in the $z$-plane contains the point $(0,1)$ then the image in the $w$-plane should contain the image of that point under the map $w=1/z$.

FAQ: Map of Area Bounded by y=5x & y=-3x in Upper Plane

What is the purpose of a map of an area bounded by two lines?

A map of an area bounded by two lines is used to visually represent a specific region on a coordinate plane. It can help with understanding the relationship between the two lines and identifying any points of intersection.

What do the equations y=5x and y=-3x represent in the context of the map?

The equations y=5x and y=-3x represent the two lines that bound the area on the map. The first equation, y=5x, represents a line with a slope of 5 and the second equation, y=-3x, represents a line with a slope of -3. The points where these lines intersect represent the boundaries of the map.

How do I determine the coordinates of the points of intersection on the map?

The points of intersection can be determined by solving the system of equations y=5x and y=-3x. This can be done by setting the two equations equal to each other and solving for x. Once the value of x is found, it can be substituted into either equation to find the corresponding y-value.

Can the map be extended beyond the boundaries of the two lines?

No, the map is bounded by the two lines and cannot be extended beyond them. Any points outside of the region bounded by the two lines are not included in the map and do not have coordinates on the map.

Is it possible for the two lines to never intersect, and if so, what does that mean for the map?

Yes, it is possible for the two lines to never intersect. This means that the map will not have any points of intersection and the boundaries of the map will be parallel lines. The map will still represent a specific region on the coordinate plane, but there will be no points where the two lines intersect.