MAPLE help - plotting integration equation

In summary, Maple is a complex piece of software that may not be able to find the sin^2(x) function. It may be helpful to buy a book on the subject.
fishspawned

Homework Statement

Does anybody out there have a good knowledge of maple? i am trying to plot out some equations and having a bit of a snag and not sure how to define my variables to make this work. The integral has a constant that ranges from zero to under 1 and this seems to be giving me a foul up .

Homework Equations

Maple 15 [not the classic version]

The Attempt at a Solution

here's an image of my attempt

mapleattempt_Page_1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
fishspawned said:

Homework Statement

Does anybody out there have a good knowledge of maple? i am trying to plot out some equations and having a bit of a snag and not sure how to define my variables to make this work. The integral has a constant that ranges from zero to under 1 and this seems to be giving me a foul up .

Homework Equations

Maple 15 [not the classic version]

here's an image of my attempt

mapleattempt_Page_1.jpg

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Possibly, Maple does not know what sin^2(x) is; it wants sin(x)^2 instead. Also, Maple thinks that pi is just some unspecified parameter; if you really mean Pi = 3.14169... , you should write that: Pi is a reserved constant, but pi is anything at all. The following works just fine:f:=1/(1-b^2*sin(x)^2);

J:=Int(f,x=0..Pi/2):

Note the use of Int instead of int. Int is the inert or delayed-evaluation form of the int command; it does not evaluate the integral, but gets it ready for evaluation in future commands.

value(J) assuming b>0,b<1;

Pi/(2*sqrt(1-b^2))

Sometimes it is important to delay evaluation of the integral until after you apply assumptions; usually I prefer to apply assumptions locally, using the "assuming" form, rather than globally, using the "assume" command.

However, you could issue the global command assume(b>0,b<1) as you did, then issue the command int(f,x=0..Pi/2). That would give you the same result, but with b printed out as b~; you don't get that annoying tilde if you use the local "assuming" form instead. (There are ways of re-setting the Maple environment so that trailing tildes are not displayed on assumed parameters.)

RGV

Last edited:
thank you. there are aspects of Maple that really bother me. I had the same type of trouble all throughout my Physical Chemistry class. this pause before evaluating with assumptions is something i have not seen before and it really would have been useful well before this. Better now than never.

fishspawned said:
thank you. there are aspects of Maple that really bother me. I had the same type of trouble all throughout my Physical Chemistry class. this pause before evaluating with assumptions is something i have not seen before and it really would have been useful well before this. Better now than never.

Well, I hate to suggest it, but why not buy a book on the subject? There are many books about Maple, ranging from very elementary to quite advanced. Maple is a great program, but it IS a piece of very complex software, and has its quirks, too. There are also numerous tutorials or on-line courses on Maple available for _free_ download from the web, and many of them would deal exactly whit the sort of issues you had. In particular, it is often best to use delayed evaluation (and maybe numerical evaluation) when plotting functions involving and integration. For example, if you have a function f = f(x,a) and you want to plot F(a) = ∫ f(x,a) dx, x = b..c it is sometimes best to use Fa:=evalf(Int(f,x=b..c)) and then say plot(Fa,a=a_min ..a _max). That will work even if the integral does not have a closed-form formula.

RGV

Related to MAPLE help - plotting integration equation

1. What is MAPLE and what is it used for?

MAPLE is a computer algebra system that is used for mathematical computations and programming. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to solve complex problems and equations.

2. How do I plot an integration equation in MAPLE?

To plot an integration equation in MAPLE, you can use the "plot" command with the integrated function as the argument. For example, if your integration equation is "integrate(x^2, x=0..5)", you would use the command "plot(integrate(x^2, x=0..5))". This will generate a graph of the integrated function.

3. Can I customize the plot of my integration equation in MAPLE?

Yes, you can customize the plot of your integration equation in MAPLE. You can use various options such as changing the color, style, and range of the graph. You can also add labels and titles to the graph to make it more descriptive and easier to understand.

4. How can I export the plot of my integration equation in MAPLE?

To export the plot of your integration equation in MAPLE, you can use the "export" command and specify the desired file format. For example, if you want to export the plot as a PNG image, you would use the command "export(plot, "filename.png", PNG)". This will save the plot as an image file on your computer.

5. Can I use MAPLE to solve and plot multiple integration equations at once?

Yes, you can use MAPLE to solve and plot multiple integration equations at once. You can either use the "plot" command with multiple integrated functions as arguments, or you can use the "plots" command with a list of integrated functions. This will generate a graph with multiple plots on the same graph for easy comparison.