Maple: Tensors and arbitrary dimensions

In summary: So if you wanted to use say, 5+1 dimensions, that would be arbitrary. But if you wanted to use say, 10+1 dimensions, that would be using the number of dimensions specified in the package.In summary, you need to specify in advance the number of dimensions you're working with in order to use a package like Maple Tensor.
wildemar
Hello there,

I'm currently trying to get my head around General Relativity for a term paper; the twist is that I'm dealing with an arbitrary amount of dimensions, that is 4+d, where d is unspecified.

Now the maple tensor package does calculation with some fixed amount of dimensions just fine, obviously. So currently I'm simply using 4+2 dimensions, the two extra ones representing the "arbitrary amount". As was to be expected, this has come to bite me, since the actual amount of extra dimensions comes up in the equations down the line, i.e. I have terms like "2a + 2b", where the 2 in front of the b is actually the number of extra dimensions which would change if I used some other amount and the 2
in front of the b is actually a regular coefficient. I guess you see the problem now: Without actually doing all the calculations by hand, there is no way to figure what numbers are dependent on the dimensions an what
numbers are not.

So I'm asking: Do you know any tricks that would enable me to specify spacetimes (that is, manifolds) with arbitrary dimension?

regards,
/W

Physics news on Phys.org
wildemar said:
Hello there,

I'm currently trying to get my head around General Relativity for a term paper; the twist is that I'm dealing with an arbitrary amount of dimensions, that is 4+d, where d is unspecified.

You're not dealing with general relativity unless d = 0. The dimensionality of the spacetime manifold is, unsurprisingly, hugely important

wildemar said:
Now the maple tensor package does calculation with some fixed amount of dimensions just fine, obviously. So currently I'm simply using 4+2 dimensions, the two extra ones representing the "arbitrary amount". As was to be expected, this has come to bite me, since the actual amount of extra dimensions comes up in the equations down the line, i.e. I have terms like "2a + 2b", where the 2 in front of the b is actually the number of extra dimensions which would change if I used some other amount and the 2
in front of the b is actually a regular coefficient. I guess you see the problem now: Without actually doing all the calculations by hand, there is no way to figure what numbers are dependent on the dimensions an what
numbers are not.

So I'm asking: Do you know any tricks that would enable me to specify spacetimes (that is, manifolds) with arbitrary dimension?

regards,
/W

You're missing the point somewhat. Maple (and, by extension, even more powerful packages like grtensorII) are essentially matrix-based; that is, they perform tensor calculations by manipulating multi-dimensional arrays in memory. Unfortunately, in order for this approach to be feasible and useful, you need to specify in advance the number of dimensions you're working with. As a result, I'm not sure how you'd go about the "top-down" approach to the problem that you seem to want.

There may be some specific approaches or techniques which you may find useful, but without specific knowledge of the models you're trying to implement I can't say much more at this point.

Last edited:
shoehorn said:
You're not dealing with general relativity unless d = 0. The dimensionality of the spacetime manifold is, unsurprisingly, hugely important.
Huh? I didn't know the definition was that narrow. Because everything else I do certainly falls into the category of GR, Einstein Equation and all. And since the extra dimensions compactify quite quickly, after some time one gets an essentially 4-dimensional spacetime.

I'm curious now: How would I describe what I do, then? It's still higher dimensional relativistic cosmology though, right? (OK, I realize now that I didn't say I was doing cosmology. But I am; I'm basically adding extra dimensions to the FRW-Metric.)

shoehorn said:
You're missing the point somewhat. Maple (and, by extension, even more powerful packages like grtensorII) are essentially matrix-based; that is, they perform tensor calculations by manipulating multi-dimensional arrays in memory. Unfortunately, in order for this approach to be feasible and useful, you need to specify in advance the number of dimensions you're working with. As a result, I'm not sure how you'd go about the "top-down" approach to the problem that you seem to want.
I thought as much. And my professor said basically the same thing. I just thought I'd give it a shot and try to ask a few more people, just in case there is a purely symbolic way of doing this (the paper I'm reading for this does it symbolically).

I guess I could still run the same calculations with several fixed dimensions and see in what way the results differ. I was hoping to avoid this, but I guess it's not a big pain.

shoehorn said:
There may be some specific approaches or techniques which you may find useful, but without specific knowledge of the models you're trying to implement I can't say much more at this point.

I'm not quite sure what you need to know about this, but let me try.

There are two extensions to the standard model that I employ: Adding a Gauß-Bonnet term to the Einstein Equation:
[itex]
G_{a b} + \lambda g_{a b} + \mathcal{G}_{a b} = \frac{1}{\kappa} T_{a b}
[/itex]
and adding several dimensions to the FRW-Metric:
[itex]
ds^2 = -dt + a(t)^2 \left( \frac{dr^2}{1 - K r^2} + r^2 \left( d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta \ d\phi^2 \right) \right) + b(t)^2 \gamma_{m n}(y) dy^m dy^n
[/itex]

Both the regular and the additional dimensions are assumed to be flat, that is [itex]K=0[/itex] and [itex]\gamma_{m n}[/itex] is the unit matrix.

I case you want to bother checking the paper that I'm referring to, it's "Solutions of higher dimensional Gauß-Bonnet FRW cosmology" by K.Andrew, B.Bolen and Ch.A.Middleton, Gen Relativ Gravit (2007) 39:2061-2071, DOI 10.1007/s10714-007-0502-7, http://arxiv.org/abs/0708.0373" .

thanks for your time, btw. :)
/W

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Maple: Tensors and arbitrary dimensions

1. What are tensors in Maple?

Tensors in Maple are mathematical objects that can be used to represent and manipulate multi-dimensional arrays of numbers. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe physical quantities such as forces and stresses.

2. How do I create a tensor in Maple?

To create a tensor in Maple, you can use the Tensor command and specify the dimensions and data for the tensor. For example, to create a 2x2x2 tensor with the numbers 1 to 8, you can use the command Tensor(2, 2, 2, [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8]).

3. Can I perform operations on tensors in Maple?

Yes, Maple provides a variety of functions for performing operations on tensors, such as tensor addition, multiplication, and contraction. You can also use Maple's built-in functions to perform operations on individual elements of a tensor.

4. How do I access specific elements of a tensor in Maple?

To access specific elements of a tensor in Maple, you can use the TENSOR command and specify the indices of the element you want to access. For example, to access the element in the first row and second column of a 3x3 tensor, you can use the command TENSOR(3,3)[1,2].

5. Can I work with tensors of arbitrary dimensions in Maple?

Yes, Maple allows you to work with tensors of any number of dimensions. You can specify the dimensions of a tensor when creating it, or you can use Maple's built-in functions to create tensors of arbitrary dimensions. Maple also provides tools for manipulating and visualizing tensors of any dimension.