Mapping for Potential Distribution in a Straight Line Capacitor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a mapping to find the potential distribution in a problem involving a picture. The problem involves mapping from the x-y plane to a straight lines plane capacitor, but the specific map cannot be found in any mapping "dictionaries." The use of symmetry along the horizontal is suggested to help place the axes, but the next step is uncertain. There is also a mention of pictures taking a while to clear and the possibility of automatic clearing.
industrygiant
Hi, my question is what mapping to use for the problem in the picture attached.

I need to be able to find the potential distribution etc by mapping from the x-y plane (as pictured) to a straight lines plane capacitor, which would be pretty straightforward, but I can't find this map in any mapping "dictionaries"!

I guess that I could use the symmetry along the horizontal to help place my axes but obviously I am unsure on the next step to take.

Attachments

• conformalmappingproblem.jpg
    conformalmappingproblem.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 327
Physics news on Phys.org
hey industrygiant - just so you know, the pics take quite a while to clear

Ah okay thanks, didn't know :) do they work automatically when cleared? can't find anything about this on the forum...

Related to Mapping for Potential Distribution in a Straight Line Capacitor?

1. What is conformal mapping and why is it important in science?

Conformal mapping is a mathematical technique used to transform one complex plane into another while preserving the angles between curves. It is important in science because it can be used to simplify complex physical problems and make them more manageable to solve.

2. How is conformal mapping used in fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, conformal mapping is used to transform the flow of fluids in a complex geometry, such as around a curved object, into a simpler geometry, such as a straight line or circle. This allows for easier analysis and solution of fluid flow problems.

3. Can conformal mapping be used in other areas besides fluid dynamics?

Yes, conformal mapping has applications in various fields such as electromagnetism, heat transfer, and structural mechanics. It is a versatile tool that can be applied to many different physical problems.

4. What properties are preserved in a conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping preserves angles between curves, as well as the orientation and shape of curves. It also preserves the ratio of distances between points on the curves.

5. How is conformal mapping related to complex analysis?

Conformal mapping is a fundamental concept in complex analysis, as it involves the manipulation and transformation of complex functions. The study of conformal mapping also leads to a better understanding of the behavior of complex functions in general.