Mapping Real Axis and Im(z)=1 to Tangent Circles?

In summary, the problem is to find a Mobius transformation that maps the real axis to the circle |z|=1 and the line Im(z)=1 to the circle |z-2|=1. There seems to be a problem with the question as the given equations for the circles do not intersect. However, upon clarification, it is actually |z|=1 and |z-2|=1, indicating that the circles are tangent at a point. This makes the problem easier to solve.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find a Mobius transformation that maps the real axis to the circle |z-1|=1, and the line Im(z)=1 to the circle |z-2|=1

Homework Equations

A mobius transformation is one of the form [tex]z\rightarrow\frac{az+b}{cz+d}[/tex] on the extended complex plane

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt pretty much comes out to... well, mobius transformations are bijections, but the two lines I'm given in the pre-image only intersect at infinity. So how do I get the two intersection for the circles? I'm thinking maybe I'm really dumb, and they're just tangent, but it looks to me as if they meet at [tex]\frac{3}{2}\pm\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}i[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, there does seem to be a problem with the question.

I asked someone about it, and it's actually |z|=1 and |z-2|=1, so they're tangent at a point (I was reading off the circle descriptions from the question above previously... whoops).

I was having enough trouble with these stupid things without making them even more difficult for myself.

Related to Mapping Real Axis and Im(z)=1 to Tangent Circles?

1. What are Mobius Transformations?

Mobius Transformations, also known as Mobius maps or fractional linear transformations, are mathematical functions that map points from one complex plane to another. They are defined by the formula f(z) = (az + b) / (cz + d), where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers and z is a variable complex number.

2. How are Mobius Transformations used?

Mobius Transformations are used in various fields of mathematics, including geometry, complex analysis, and topology. They are also commonly used in computer graphics to create 3D shapes and animations.

3. What is the significance of the name "Mobius Transformations"?

The name "Mobius Transformations" comes from the mathematician August Ferdinand Möbius, who first studied and described the transformations in the 19th century. The name has since been anglicized to "Mobius" in English-speaking countries.

4. What are some key properties of Mobius Transformations?

Some key properties of Mobius Transformations include that they preserve circles and lines, they have a inverse function, and they are conformal, meaning that they preserve angles.

5. Can Mobius Transformations be represented visually?

Yes, Mobius Transformations can be represented visually through a variety of methods, including using complex number grids, stereographic projections, and geometric figures such as circles and lines. There are also various software programs that allow for visual representation and manipulation of Mobius Transformations.