Marijuana May Help Multiple Sclerosis Patients?

• Medical
  • Thread starter green1706
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, researchers found that cannabinoids may be effective in reducing muscle spasms in people with multiple sclerosis, but there are concerns about the intoxicating side effects of THC. The combination of THC and CBD may limit psychotropic effects. The multiple sclerosis patients in the studies evaluated generally tolerated the side effects of the combined marijuana extracts. However, support for medical marijuana use is growing in the United States.
green1706
Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have a friend with MS :cry: and need to know...:confused:
Researchers note that doses of cannabis (marijuana) have been shown to reduce the muscle spasms experienced by many people who have multiple sclerosis. The use of medical marijuana continues to be a struggle in the United States. Although it has been shown to be very effective in treating various diseases and illnesses, including chronic pain, nausea, glaucoma, seizure disorders, PTSD, cancer, diabetes, and others, many people risk arrest when they use marijuana for medicinal purposes. In October 2009, President Obama stated that his administration will not seek to arrest medical marijuana users and suppliers if they conform to state laws.
Although research indicates that cannabinoids offer benefits for multiple sclerosis patients because they can reduce inflammation and they have quelled spasms in animal studies, some officials, including regulators and researchers, have been concerned about the intoxicating side effects of THC. The authors of the recent paper, however, note that the combination of THC and CBD can limit psychotropic effects. They also note that the multiple sclerosis patients in the studies they evaluated generally well tolerated the side effects of the combined marijuana extracts.
Does anyone know more details?
PS: An amazing invention I have seen is the so called berkelbike, a revolutionary, award winning tricycle which can be propelled by both your arms and legs. The BerkelBike makes cycling possible despite MS, Polio, Spinal Cord Injury or Stroke.

:cool:

Biology news on Phys.org
green1706 said:
Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have a friend with MS :cry: and need to know...:confused:
Researchers note that doses of cannabis (marijuana) have been shown to reduce the muscle spasms experienced by many people who have multiple sclerosis. The use of medical marijuana continues to be a struggle in the United States. Although it has been shown to be very effective in treating various diseases and illnesses, including chronic pain, nausea, glaucoma, seizure disorders, PTSD, cancer, diabetes, and others, many people risk arrest when they use marijuana for medicinal purposes. In October 2009, President Obama stated that his administration will not seek to arrest medical marijuana users and suppliers if they conform to state laws.
Although research indicates that cannabinoids offer benefits for multiple sclerosis patients because they can reduce inflammation and they have quelled spasms in animal studies, some officials, including regulators and researchers, have been concerned about the intoxicating side effects of THC. The authors of the recent paper, however, note that the combination of THC and CBD can limit psychotropic effects. They also note that the multiple sclerosis patients in the studies they evaluated generally well tolerated the side effects of the combined marijuana extracts.
Does anyone know more details?
PS: An amazing invention I have seen is the so called berkelbike, a revolutionary, award winning tricycle which can be propelled by both your arms and legs. The BerkelBike makes cycling possible despite MS, Polio, Spinal Cord Injury or Stroke.

:cool:

So you like my bike, eh? :approve:

Just kidding. Can you please provide some links to the studies that you are alluding to? That would help folks make more informed comments without having to go off and dig them up ourselves.

Are you currently in Romania (in your profile), or in the States? I think at least locally here in California, prescriptions are being filled for some of the illnesses you mention. Not sure about MS.

Maine now has a medical marijuana law, and MS is one of the conditions for which it can be prescribed. Dispensaries have not yet been licensed, and there is currently a spate of NIMBY actions going on on the town/city level. Also, it is not clear what might happen to a medical marijuana user if he or she is found to be in possession of pot while located within 1000 ft of a school - a condition that elevates the crime of possession and can trigger some fairly draconian penalties.

If you are already a smoker (legal fags) - Just try... You'll see...
If not; I am not sure it worth starting to smoke to get a 'possible' relief. Like shooting a foot to forget you've got an headache?

FWIW: I am MS sufferer and I tried MJ: it did not change anything to me. But everyone's different; and so is their MS.

Related to Marijuana May Help Multiple Sclerosis Patients?

What is Multiple Sclerosis (MS)?

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a chronic autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system. It occurs when the immune system mistakenly attacks the protective covering of nerve fibers, causing inflammation and damage. This can lead to a variety of symptoms, including muscle weakness, numbness, and problems with coordination and balance.

How can marijuana help with MS?

Marijuana contains compounds called cannabinoids, which interact with the body's endocannabinoid system to produce various effects. Some research suggests that cannabinoids may have anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties, which could potentially benefit MS patients by reducing inflammation and protecting nerve cells.

What symptoms of MS can marijuana help with?

Marijuana may help alleviate several symptoms of MS, including muscle spasticity, pain, and sleep disturbances. Some studies have also shown it may improve bladder function and reduce depression and anxiety in MS patients.

Is marijuana a safe and effective treatment for MS?

While some studies have shown potential benefits of marijuana for MS patients, more research is needed to fully understand its safety and effectiveness. Additionally, the use of marijuana for medical purposes is highly regulated and may not be legal in all areas. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using marijuana as a treatment for MS.

What are the potential side effects of using marijuana for MS?

The potential side effects of marijuana use for MS may include dizziness, dry mouth, and changes in mood or perception. It may also interact with other medications. As with any medication, it is important to discuss potential risks and side effects with a healthcare professional before use.